Waiting for paint to cure

I just finished painting a bathroom and need to reinstall the fixtures and stuff I took down. Of particular concern is the shower curtain rod. I know the rubber ends will stick to the paint if the paint hasn't cured enough. Is there any way to expedite the curing process? Would a heat gun do the trick?
- les

No, a heat gun is not a good idea. When did you paint? How many hours ago? Is it too warm where you live to turn the heat on a bit to lower the humidity in the house? Add a fan, and you can help speed things up.
On the can of paint you used, what curing time is suggested?
Les wrote:

Fan? Care to share details such as type of paint? Sheen?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Not really. Just plan on taking baths instead of showers for the next two weeks.

A heat gun might damage the paint. Wait several days, then use small squares of wax paper. After a month, remove the wax squares and apply a thin coat of oil (or Vaseline) to the wall where the rubber ends touch. Paint takes about a month to fully cure and harden.
Phisherman wrote:

Sorry, but your last sentence is not correct. Paint polymerization (curing) is fairly asymptotic and takes years to "fully" cure.
Do this little experiment. Put some spots of paint on a hard surface such as glass.
After a week, use a razor to remove one of the spots. It'll come off fairly easy. Repeat process in a month or two. The spot will still come off but it'll be more difficult. Wait a year or more. Now you're really going to have to scrap hard. After a few years, it'll be a real bear to remove spots.
For that reason, you don't want to paint bookcase shelves unless you're willing to wait a year or so before placing heavy items on the shelves.
That's why I use shellac for bookcase shelves.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:06:55 -0400, Julie wrote:

the United States alone that have been painted and then used after several days of curing with no problems whatsoever.

I agree. If you go back to my suggestions, you won't have any problems with painted bookshelves (using quality paint and follow all the manufacturer's prep guidelines). I used Johnson's Paste Wax (in the yellow can) after 4-6 weeks of paint cure time. It is the wait time that really makes this work and gives a hard durable finish.