$WAG from AC experts for replacing AC

Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and knowledgeable group here on A.H.R
I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced. Ballpark for this....
Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. Reusing the inside evap/air handler. Straight AC, not heatpump. $$???
Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??
I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new R-whatever it is.
Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

I would do the entire system and sticking with R22 would be a BIG MISTAKE. Its getting pricer and may no longer be available at all:(
new systems will have higher SEER saving you money long term:)

I agree with those suggesting changing the evaporator too and going with R410A. The cost of R22 has gone way up, new systems with R410A are more efficient. And depending on the rest of what's there, maybe the air handler or furnace, whatever it is, would be cost effective to replace as well.
If you're just talking outside unit, evaporator, air handler, the cost of the eqpt is about $2400 - $2800, assuming you go with a company like RUUD. If you want Carrier, etc then it's going to be more. Then you have the cost of the install, so you can probably double that. If you don't need to replace the air handler, ony the evaporator, you can knock off some $$, but not a lot. Also check any utility rebates, tax credits, etc that may be available.
For an idea of eqpt cost, check out ACWholesalers.com I got my system from them 2 years ago.

I agree with replacing the whole unit. Even a new thermostat and pipes. Everything but the duct work.. I had a 2 ton unit replaced several years ago and could still get a r-22 system. It was the same price as the newer types. I opted for it as I had a bottle of r-22. As that refrigant has been around many years and operates at a lower pressure, my thinking (right or wrong) was it may last longer.
If everything is replaced, if anything goes wrong or is not right, one maker can not blame the other.

The hot part of Arizona.
On 6/17/2013 6:04 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Me and my late friend GB replaced a number of R22 condensing units with new R22 condensing units that had no R22 as they came from the factory. There are new formulations of R22 replacements that will allow you to keep your R22 equipment for many years and avoid the huge cost of total replacement. If it was my system and the indoor equipment and evaporator are in good shape, I would go back with a condensing unit meant for R22. Of course I have a tendency to repair old stuff as long as it works. ^_^
http://www.arkema-inc.com/fluorochemicals/forane-refrigerants/forane-427a?gclid=CN-u54HJ7LcCFQho7AodeCYAiw
http://tinyurl.com/k8efxlz
TDD

There is no good reason to stick with R22. The R-whatever works just fine in our old system at work and was much cheaper to buy.
On Monday, June 17, 2013 7:04:12 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Just a basic split system outside unit, airhandler, no heat. swag would be $4-6k equipment and install.