VW announces US deal to buy back diesel cheats

VW forges U.S. deal arising from diesel emissions scandal http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0XI24G
Volkswagen AG announced a U.S. deal on Thursday to buy back or fix about a half million polluting diesel cars.
The judge set the June 21 deadline for VW to post the for the start of a public comment period.
On 4/21/2016 6:33 PM, Joe Clock wrote:

My perception of emissions controls on a vehicle is some what like wrapping a long distance runner's head in ten layers of burlap. Performance may suffer.
. Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
On 04/21/2016 05:29 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's just ever so profitable for a whole industry and a lot of government officials, though.
--
Cheers,
Bev
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 6:33:57 PM UTC-4, Joe Clock wrote:

VW should be forced to buy back and crush every vehicle they cheated the owners on. refund the purchase price in full.
once VW is made a example of no carmakerwill ever ty it again

Mitsubishi faked fuel mileage tests. From Bloomberg: http://preview.alturl.com/gro6d or <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/mitsubishi-motors-plunges-after-improper-handling-of-fuel-tests

On 4/21/2016 6:50 PM, bob haller wrote:

Their latest add campaign touts the SAFETY of their vehicles. I can just see what the original copy might have looked like: "Sure, we cheated on our mileage/emissions testing. But, we'd NEVER cheat on our safety/crash tests!"
(Time to bring back the Joe Isuzu commercials: "You have my word on it!")
On 04/21/2016 07:50 PM, bob haller wrote:

As I understand it the actual owners get good mileage and a diesel that performs better than a Freightliner for a change. The only people that got cheated were the tight-assed EPA bureaucrats.

That would be "up to" 40 times. As soon as you see the words "up to" the figure following is meaningless. Nowhere have I seen how much they actually put out under real-world driving conditions or, given the tiny amounts involved, whether it's going to make a material difference in air quality.
How much pollution will be emitted from the manufacturing of replacement vehicles? For an accurate picture be sure to start from the mining of the raw materials and include the energy used.
On 04/22/2016 07:27 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

You're asking for a real world cost/benefit analysis. That ain't going to happen any time soon. UP TO 40 TIMES MORE gets better contributions and funding.

I have a better idea. How about if any politician tells a lie we cut out their tongue?
It only took our anointed one about five years to figure out that VW was playing his game.