Vinyl tile over vinyl tile

I've been asked to put a new vinyl tile floor over an existing vinyl floor. If the old floor is in good shape, I'm considering using a floor leveler product first then thinset mortar before using the peel and stick tiles. Option 2 to install 1/4 lunan with ringnails then applying thinset before installing the tiles.
My question is the thinset overkill ? Any other suggestion ?
Thanks Dick
use armstrong commercial tile instead since you're doing it right the first time and follow installation instructions in the box similar to your option 2, including a separate can of specified adhesive. the self stick tiles have a shorter life. see: http://www.armstrong.com/home/us/en /
Yeah, do it the right way and remove the old tiles first.
Assuming the old floor is in good shape, you can put the new tiles right on top. Just clean up the old floor so the adhesive will stick, and fix any bumps or lumps in the old floor.
As for overkill, if you were going to level the floor etc, you might as well take out the old floor - which could be a pain.......
Regular old self stick tiles should work fine and last a long time;
I think leveling the floor is probably overkill for this job