Vinyl sliding door leak

I have an Anderson Window sliding door that's leaking somewhere around above the frame. What kind of company makes such repairs? Siding installers?

It only leaks when there's a heavy wind driving rain against the side of the house where the sliding door is. There is vinyl siding on that side of the house.

I've read at a few sites that the "J-channel" above the door might be leaking.

Reply to
Toasty

"Toasty" wrote

Check it closely and get some clear acrylic caulk. Thats likely all you need.

Reply to
cshenk

A band-aid at best, and it will start leaking again at some point. Impossible to say without seeing it, but sounds like door was not flashed properly, or if the siding was a retrofit, they fubar'd the flashing somehow, like taking the drip cap off and assuming the J-channel would serve the same function. Anderson is a quality brand, so likely the water is coming in above the outside brickmold or casing, and puddling on top of the jamb. Only way to be sure of a forever fix is to pop off inside casing and see where the water is, then take apart that area on outside and put it back together correctly. A door company could fix, but would charge a bunch. I'd wait for a real warm day when the siding was flexible from sun shining on it, unzip the course above the J-channel, and take a look in there. Maybe add a strip of that black sticky stuff and/or flashing above the brickmold or exterior casing, then curving up and going 6-8 inches up the wall on the sheathing under the siding. It needs to go past the ends of the door frame, and have flaps hanging down over the side flashing that is hopefully there.

-- aems ends..

Reply to
aemeijers