Very scared and frustrated

Page 3 of 3  


5 gallons of gas and a match should solve your problem quite nicely.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You have bo choice now. You must burn the house and everything inside. Then take a gun and commit suicide and kill everyone else that has ever entered that house.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It's one of those subjects that brings out the crank in all of us- from excessively anxious to overly dismissive- just have to keep it in proportion as best as we can.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The asbestos scare has gone way out of proportion. If your house is in your opinion "contaminated" but you can't see it (there are no piles of asbestos lying about) you will probably inhale just as much fibers as you would be on a normal sunny day in traffic!
But if you are still worried now is the time to quit smoking. Most people are worried about lung cancer and not asbestosis which is more directly related to asbestos. But to get asbestosis you'd have to inhale it on a regular basis for years and years. But getting back to lung cancer ... the current thinking on how asbestos fibers could cause cancer is this: the smallest asbestos fibers are so small that they may puncture cell walls without destoying the them. While asbestos itself does not contain carcinogens particles from smoking does. And if that stuff is near the punctured cell carcinogens may enter the cell and cause a mutation and cancer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John wrote:

FWIW, I grew up in a house with asbestos shingles. Never did me any harm. My mother worked for Johns-Manville, the asbestos king, in offices which were decorated almost entirely in asbestos--asbestos wallpaper, asbestos desks, asbestos upholstery, showcases for the stuff--she lived into her late '80s and as far as I know asbestos has not been associated with pancreatic cancer.
On the other hand, I'd be very surprised if there were still any asbestos brake pads in service.

Unfortunately the national pastime seems to be scaring ourselves to death.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You watch to much Media, you over reacting. Most people that get Asbestoses (sp) have worked around it before the dangers were known. I will bet your wearing one of those paper dust mask. Why do so many people love dome? Look at the bright side of things. Hell the Vacuum guys are probably still laughing. Maybe Prozac is the answer
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

We've seen this happen to a friend of ours. Vermiculite insulation...
However much everyone (including your husband ;-) tells you that asbestos isn't a big deal, and that cleaning the house with HEPA has eliminated any possible hazard, and that you should just relax, simply doesn't make the anxiety go away. Does it?
It's because you can't see it, and you're not sure.
I can understand that feeling (fortunately I'm not prone to it).
Here's how you stop that feeling:
Call a lab (look in the yellow papers under Asbestos abatement or such like), and have them do an air test.
They'll install a couple of small filters in the house that will collect whatever's in the air for the next couple of months. Then, they analyze what's on the filter. It'll cost anywhere from $40-$120.
When they come back to you with a report that says "zero", you'll feel much better.
If it says anything other than zero, you could get it retested by _another_ company.
If you end up with a reading _other_ than zero (which I HIGHLY doubt from your description), call an asbestos _consultant_ (_not_ a removal contractor) and have them review the test results. That might not cost very much at all (they might be willing to answer you over the phone based on the test numbers). And they'll tell you that there's no problem.
That's what our friend did. She's not worried about it any more.
[She was getting zeros from air tests. The consultant said "you don't have a problem". But, the first vermiculite test said "trace" (meaning somewhere between barely detectable and 2-3%), and that scared her. The second, more accurate, asbestos test of the vermiculite (done by another company) showed it was <.1%, and we had sealed the few potential leaks. So, yeah, there were minute quantities of asbestos in some of their insulation, but it was sealed off, and air tests showed NONE of it in the air over a period of many months.].
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Unless you want to tear your home down and start over....relax! Keep it clean, keep the duct work cleaned,and keep your furnace filters changed. A good air purifier would be a nice touch(sharper image).
Relax and enjoy your life, it goes by too quickly.
charles
<html><body bgcolor="yellow"
text="black"></body></html>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
There are several consequences of asbestos exposure. Chronic interstitial lung disease generally requires prolonged exposure. Lung cancer (which typically occurs 15 or more years later) is dose related and has a strong (more than additiive) association with smoking. Mesothelioma can occur with short ( 1 - 2 year) exposures after an interval of 20 + years not peaking until 30 to 35 years after exposure.
Housewives whose only contact with asbestos was laundering their spouses absestos contaminated work clothing have been afflicted. So "casual" indirect contact of this nature can cause disease.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Life is just full of risks its important to keep them in perspective!
Driving is no doubt the easiest way to get killed or severly injured.
more people die in the bathroom than anywhere else.
be outside in the rain might get you exposed to radiation from chernobyle, the russian nuclear meltdown.
staying inside you home can cause health troubles from lack of sun exposure, while being outside in the sun can get you skin cancer.
so you cleaned up the home used professionals.
buy a pricey hepa vacuumn, and work extra hard at keeping your home clean. at least it will look good.
I am 49 when I was a kid my job was brooming the furnace ductwork, give it a good cleaning. all covered with asbestos.
theres probably more in the existing envronment than what you introduced by stirring it up.
really make a difference to your childs health! NEVER ALLOW THEM AROUND TOBACCO SMOKE! Its way more dangerous and still to prevelant.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ok now that's scaring me...... I would hope though that my family's exposure would still be much much smaller than the housewives who were doing this (laundry) probably day in day out so they might as well have worked in the factories themselves.
Has anyone else gone through the same i.e., remove asbestos accidentally and if yes how did they deal with it????
HL wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You have already been given lots of good advice. Asbestos has been identified as a carcinogen when it is in a friable condition. The floor tiles and the cut back adhesive that held them are not basically friable (dust, powder, pulverized - flying in the air). They can become friable by grinding, sanding, etc. The duct asbestos was probably the paper thin type and it would again depend on what you did to it during the remodel.
The basic precaution for any asbestos work is to keep it wet. By keeping it wet it does not become friable. I don't know what method(s) you did use during your remodel work, but I would not worry about anything unless you created a major friable circumstance. Even then, we must assume the dust has settled after 2 years. Wipe up any dust with a damp rag and a squirt bottle of water. There are testing agencies that will monitor the air in your space if you want to hire them. It is a small vacuum/fan with a filter disk and you would place several around various places in the house including the attic and basement. The filters are taken to a lab for analysis. If this would provide peace of mind, I think you should go ahead and contact a testing agency.
During professional asbestos removal, the building is kept under negative pressure by use of very large vacuum(s) that draw the air through a filter. The building will be kept under negative pressure until the removal/disturbance is complete and until the filter readings test clear. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.