Very Basic Circuit Breaker Question

As you will see, my electrical understanding is quite newbie, to say the least!

I wanted to know if a circuit breaker trips because of an overload, does that mean all is ok and there is no damage to wiring etc.?

Here's why I ask: We are having a roof put on and the workers were using the electrical outlet outside the house for their saws. Well I noticed they had the breaker box open and asked why. They said when they ran 2 saws at once it tripped the breaker. Is this anything to worry about? I assumed because it cut off, the safety feature worked and all is well. But then I wondered if the extra current going through the wire before getting to the box could have damaged the wiring (if that makes any sense). Also, I noticed they had the door to the panel left open and still both saws plugged in. So it's possible they were "taking turns" and may have overlapped again, thinking they could just keep resettig it.

Is it very likely I have anything to worry about? If so, what to do?

Note: If it matters, this is a 45 year old house. Also, I was in the house and did not notice anything go off--not that I can say every thing was on in the house. Do these outside outlets usually have their own circuit?

Thanks for any help,

-- John Ross

Reply to
John Ross

No, if you wiring is properly sized and in good condition. Temperature rises are not enough to damage wiring at marginally tripping loads like this.

Now if you have bad or deteriorated wiring, then this sort of thing can push it over the edge.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hi, Being external outlet, it could be on GFCI.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most circuit breaker breaks at 20A Most circular saw draws close to 15A Two circular saw draws 30A, which would cause the 20A breaker to trip.

Nothing wrong.

Reply to
peter