Venting Microwave with Partial Wall Cabinets????

I am pretty much convinced that I want to vent my stove in our new kitchen, but we're designing in an over-the-stove microwave and the cabinet above the microwave does not go all the way to the ceiling. I have been looking at how a clothes dryer vent works running up in the wall and was thinking about venting the microwave into and up the wall behind it and not blasting thru the cabinet above it. And even if I did extend into the cabinet above it I can't go out of the top of the cabinet as it doesn't go to the ceiling.
Any hints, experiences or suggestions?????

Many if not all of the over the stove microwaves that I have installed have the option to vent out the back. The duct size is usually 3" (Or 3.5") x 10". You would need to get the proper elbows and ducts, but this size would fit in a wall. I use a local HVAC contractor to fabricate my duct fittings. You could do the same or find a sheet metal fabricator who will make the fittings that you need.

We have a sheet metal shop here at work I could get them to make me a nice one or maybe someone makes something already. I doubt I am the first to ask this....
Thanks!
My cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling. Plus my exhaust unit required an 8" diameter pipe to attach to a roof mounted fan. I ran the 8" round pipe up through the exhaust hood cabinet and through the ceiling. Then I filled in the space between the cabinet and the ceiling with a 5 sided box which fitted against tight the wall. When I installed the crown molding around the ceiling I also went around the 5 sided box. It all looks like a decorative column. When I did it, I followed the old rule: If you are forced to have it, make it look like a feature.

This is exactly what i did in my kitchen when I renovated it. Here are some pics;
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/MicrowaveVenting
The first pic shows the short elbow I used for inside the wall. It is 3 1/4X10". The picture just shows how it sits in the wall.
The second picture shows the complete duct work assembled. Note that its right next to a stud. I had originally planned for 15" cabinets on either side of the stove, but when I gutted the kitchen, I noticed the stud would be in the way of the duct, so i simply shifted everything over 3" by getting a 12" cabinet on one side and an 18" cabinet on the other. i had not yet ordered tha cabinets yet, so obviously it worked for me. I tried my best to install the ductwork where the microwave was going, plus I left about 1" play up and down
The third picture, although far away, shows another shot of the ductwork behind the drywall lift. When it gets up in the ceiling, it then transistions from a rect to 6" round elbow, then continues in 6" round eventually going out the roof.
The 4th and 5th pictures show the finished product.
One note, I eliminated the damper door that comes with the microwave since it would block the duct going up the wall when it it opens. I just kept the flange. The Broan vent hood on the roof has a damper already and having gone through a winter , I've had no problems with drafts or cold.
Hey Mike,
Pictures were a GREAT HELP and that's exactly what I am probably going to end up doing. One question, the duct work that you used to connect directly to the back of the microwave, did you purchase that or did you have someone make it? Looks perfect and since it's a vent the sealing against the microwave shouldn't have to be 100% (where's it going to go but back into the kitchen?.... ooops, I'm venting :O)
Thanks!!!! Scott

All of the ducting was purchased at Lowes and Home Depot. If you have trouble finding the 90 short elbow, look where the vent hoods are or dryer hook ups, they sometimes have it as an accesory on the shelf. otherwise it should be in the sheet metal aisle. I had left some play in the duct so you can go up down or side to side about 1" after I put up the plywood wall. The duct was actually sticking out of the wall about 1/2". Once I knew exactly where the microwave was going after using the template that comes with it, I cut each corner of the duct and bended it back against the plywood, and screwed it secure to the wall. Like I said remove the damper door but keep the flange part attached so it fits inside the duct. Do not use screws to attach the ductwork together, use the heavy duty foil tape.

Talk SWMBO out of the over-the stove microwave and simplify the whole deal. The OTS is another of those cutesy fads that people soon tire of because of the inconvenience of the location. A good big conventional MW is a great kitchen appliance, and far better for real food prep than the little toy over the stove. Besides, real chefs need real range hoods, and the MW is not in that class. Of course, if your goal is a trophy kitchen, practicality and true usefulness aren't in the picture, so save that for the next remodel. Whatever, good luck.
Joe
On Mon 14 Jul 2008 09:48:25a, infiniteMPG told us...

In the Phoenix area, at least, it's common practice in kitchens that don't have a soffit above the upper cabinets or where the upper cabinets do not reach the ceiling, to run the duct up through the upper cabinet, and on up through the ceiling. The duct exposed above the cabinet is nicely boxed in either with matching cabinet wood, or drywalled and painted.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Tue 15 Jul 2008 05:14:47a, told us...

He's *trying* to VENT! :-)
--
Wayne Boatwright