VARNISH TILE?

Can I varnish a dull tile to bring up shine?
It's a patio table dulled by weather.
Can I varnish a tile patio table to bring up the shine?

Try fabric softener first.

Very good!

You can. But it will not last and will look really bad as it fails. You could try wet sanding it with 2000 grit sandpaper from the auto-paint store.
Bob

Thanks, I will try that.

concrete surfaces, and it leaves a pretty glossy surface. I expect it would work on tile as well?

Yes, I googled it and got referrals.
Forget sanding, I am painting with the tile sealant. Sold at the box stores everywhere.
Mrs. Clean
Can I varnish a

Whatever you use, verify with the manufacturer that it will hold up in the weather.
Bob

They used to sell (and probably still do) some sort of clear stuff that you'd put on wood and it formed a thick (like 1/4") clear plastic finish. They use this a lot in bars on the bar surface. That would probably suit you well, if it dont interact and harm the tile. (do a test small spot first). I have no idea what this stuff is called. I have even seen it used on tables covered with small stone to make them look like a riverbed. Kind of neat stuff whatever its called.

I don't think it would hold up well in the sun.
Bob

I will have to disagree, based on the bar surfaces, and tables it was used on, which had the sun beating on them (ones near windows), as well as all the abuse that bars get. If you have spant anytime in a bar, you know how people slam their glasses and bottles and all. Back when I was into bars, I went to one that had it for years. I never saw any damage to it. I have seen it used in restaurants too. It seemed to be real popular in the 70's, but I still see it from time to time.
I still have no clue what its called though. I thought maybe someone on here would know.
I find it interesting that tile holds up outdoors. (This is outdoors, right?). Most tile adhesives will fail from water and heat/cold.

Sun through a window is different than full sun and weather. Again - I'd ask the manufacturer.

I believe porcelin tile will work outdoors due to its low water absorbtion.
Isn't there outdoor tile in Italy and other places that is centyries old?
Bob