Valve Washer

I'm having a hard time trying to change this spigot washer. I thought if I would just remove the "C" nut I would be able to remove the valve and change the washer inside. I posted a labled picture on flickr. Any advice would be great.
http://flic.kr/p/932nmq
On 12/19/2010 5:11 AM, Someguy469 wrote:

You're probably going to have to heat it with a torch. It might be best to remove it from the pipe nipple and put it in a bench vice. You could replace it with a new one cheaper than going through all the trouble to repair what you have unless you're very fond of the old one. :-)
TDD
On 12/19/2010 4:25 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

"Bench vice"? What are you, British?
Didn't think so.

On 12/19/2010 9:21 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I just reloaded my dictionary program cuz eye caynt spel sumtymes. :-) I have a lot of fun mixing and matching different spellings of common words to add a bit of "colour" to my posts. Heck I have some ancestors from England. I think some of the ancestors from my ancient ancestors The Cavebillies may have come from England, Cavelimeys I think they were called. :-)
TDD
On 12/19/2010 10:45 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

You mean the Hatfields and the Plimsoll-Fauntleroys?

Remove the "B". The "C" is the packing gland which keeps water from coming out at the stem.
Hank
Thanks!

SG-
As per the other posts, you have to unscrew at "B" to replace the valve washer. On old faucets, that joint is VERY difficult to break loose.
I have two faucets sitting on my work bench, waiting to me to get more ambitious.
So far, I have been unable to disassemble them. :(
I gave up & bought new faucets.
cheers Bob

These are very heavy duty industrial units, the one's where the washer doesn't turn with the valve stem. Meant to be mounted on a vertical pipe and have the hose connection angled down.
These are not "Made in China" junk.
IF I do give up on them, currently, they're in the "gonna get around to it later" bin, they'd go into the scrap brass bucket not the trash.
cheers Bob
Oren wrote:

Second that. I replaced one and was so delighted I replaced four more.
--
Aside:
In so doing I discovered that the galvanized pipe exiting the house through