Valve that controls gas on my bike?

There is this valve that controls the gas supply on my motorcycle. It doesn't seem to work very well for me. When I turn it to the "off" position, the bike often continues to run, even after I try to shut if off. I think the valve is defective. When I fiddle with it a bit, it seems to work OK, but it can be fickle.
Anyhow, I was told that it was a pet cock valve. Do any of you have a pet cock you need to fiddle with from time to time? What's the solution to my dilemma. Thanks for your time.
On 8/11/2008 6:03 PM Mark spake thus:

Yes, I do. His name's Buster and he can kick your rooster's ass.
Mark,
It's one word, petcock. You should not need to fiddle with it. Rebuild or replace it.
Dave M.

Does it have three positions? One on, one off and one reserve? In the off position it will continue to run for a while. It is not a switch to turn off the engine. The only time mine gets turned to off is when it is going in storage.

Jeez.
You have a motorsickle.
Most motorsickles have carburetors.
Carburetors have float bowls, which store a few oz. of gas.
Shut off the petcock, the bike will likely run until the few oz. run out.
If you got nary a clue about how a motorsickle works, you're a very good bet to do yo'self harm.
Consider an automobile.
AQ
"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935

Yes I have one and it shoots live bullets just like a gun. Some guns need to be cocked. Have you ever cocked a gun? I'd like to see a pic of that one.