Valve packing question

When repairing a valve's packing with string packing, how much should be used? (e.g. for a washer shut off valve, enough to go once around the shaft, 3 times, etc.)
Also are packing washers better than string packing?
Thanks!
I think the correct answer is "just enough to keep it from leaking"...
Liz-
The "packing" is filling the space inside the packing nut, around the valve stem & above the washer that goes against the valve body.
Try to visualize the amountof space & put it that amount of string. I using use "pre-formed" packing not string. If I do use "string" I use the teflon type. I using try to put too much in & the nut won't engage the thread; I cut off a little & try again. That way it's one continuous piece.
I also "wind" it such that tightening the nut continues to wind it, not unwind it.
cheers Bob