vacuum belt problem

My Hoover WindTunnel vacuum cleaner has a problem. The brush will not roll on carpet but will roll on bare floor. You can smell the burning rubber of the belt.
I replaced the original belt once and now the second belt is doing the same thing. This is the way it is set up: The roller has a smaller belt that attaches to an internal roller's groove. The internal roller has a plastic wheel where a second larger belt turns it. This belt is attached to motor's shaft.
The second belt is the problem child. It is getting worn down at the motor shaft and stinking up the place. Now whether the belt is the problem or the other roller, I don't know. Is there anything else I can do before I'm forced to take it somewhere to get it fixed?
badgolferman wrote:

Hi, Set the roller height for carpet? If belt is not broken turn it inside out that way you can get some more life out of it.

Does the roller turn freely if you remove the second belt? You might need to clean out hair wrapped around the bearings where things turn and lubricate the bearings.
Bob

Is there a twist in the belt (like when the shaft and roller are perpendicular)If so, make sure the twist goes the right way or the rollers will turn the wrong way