using gasoline as a substate

Page 1 of 2
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work? I don't want to end up with a gooey shit that never hardens.
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use denatured alcohol.
On 4/24/2016 12:30 PM, bob_villain wrote:

I don't think it is a good idea to thin epoxy. Epoxy does not set by solvent evaporation and thinned epoxy when set will not be as strong. Also use of a reactive solvent like alcohol is a bad idea.
Depending on the epoxy and curing agent, warming before use might be a better idea.
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 12:40:31 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

...years ago I made an impression with clay and then a plaster cast...thinned the epoxy (with the recommended solvent) and it turned out well. It was a custom-fix gear shift knob.
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 12:39:51 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 4:56:51 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Where were you 50 yrs ago when I did this? 8^)
On 04/24/2016 06:02 PM, bob_villain wrote:

Most of the casting resin I've used was epoxy...

On 04/24/2016 08:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

All three, polyester, polyurethane, and epoxy, have their strengths. Epoxy typically shrinks less. It also is less hazardous to work with although the amines can sensitize some people. Polyester is cheaper if you don't need the electrical, mechanical, or chemical resistant properties of epoxy. It also handles UV better.
"bob_villain" wrote in message
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use denatured alcohol.
Many Years ago I have painted car with Epoxy paint it require special tinier which I purchase at the same time with the paint, if you have boat supplies near by it is possible that they might have it. It is also possible they may refuse to sale it to you unless you are in business.
On 04/24/2016 10:23 AM, Deodiaus wrote:

Then use acetone.
On 4/24/16 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeup/nails/cvs-100-acetone-nail-polish-remover-prodid-1015146?skuId 6002 16 oz. @ $5
we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

That is $40 a gallon. Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG and not have to deal with the lanolin, artificial color and scents in nail polish remover?

Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above is 100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom
"Ingredients acetone, denatonium benzoate"

intend to use the epoxy on anything you are going to put in your mouth later!!!! VERY bitter stuff.
Robert Green posted for all of us...

I think you could make a TV show out of this like Breaking Bad. Name name it ISISLBOMBA.
--
Tekkie

it is often Ethyl Acetate instead of Acetone and it also has things like Glycerine in it. Just get Acetone and be safe.
That said, thinned epoxy NEVER has the same strength as unthinned epoxy (just like 5 minute epoxy is never as strong as a slower curing epoxy)
On 4/24/16 3:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above is 100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom
"Ingredients acetone, denatonium benzoate"
On 04/24/2016 11:45 AM, Retired wrote:

I just bought 32 oz of acetone at Lowes for $7.95. It doesn't have the additional ingredients of fingernail polish remover. Straight acetone defats the skin. The removers have lanolin so milady's cuticles won't be white. That would be good if you're removing CA from your hide, not so good if you're thinning epoxy.