useing camcorder to detect air leaks

I have heard of using a thermal camera to "see" hot spots from the outside of your house, thus knowing where your air leaks / drafts are coming from. supposidly this works rather well...
I have a sony camcorder with the "night-shot" that supposidly picks up on infrared to assist with the night shot. any ideas if this would work the same way? has anyone tried this?
thanks in advance...
email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!
dallyn snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

It's one way to do it, but I would think that a blower door test would be much more accurate, because it doesn't just detect the leaks, it's able to measure how much air is actually leaking out.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

Man's right. Any claims Sony makes to the contrary, the CCD chip isn't capable of differentiating thermal gradients of less than at least two degrees of magnitude, even with an external IR illuminator.
If you're really interested in finding exfiltration points just walk slowly around the interior of your house on the next windy or cold day, pausing frequently, while holding a candle. You can use that to judge where the drafts are passing out of the house.
Or you could go medium-tech and buy a set of Russian night vision goggles and wait for the next cold, moonlit night.
Best,
Marc
On 17 Nov 2003 01:29:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MrAoD) wrote:

I havn't heard back from sony yet... I've used IR thermal imaging camera's before at demos, and I agree they are the tool I need. I was hoping I could jerry rig with the cam corder and get by. I see not. I was also hoping not to spend the money on hiring someone to do it for me. Oh well, the local fire department has such a camera. Maybe I'll see if they can let me use it (I am on the department).
never hurts to ask does it?

where? how much??
email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!
Dave Allyn writes:
[snip]

Yep zero-lux >< infrared vision.

Sounds like a best bet. Buy the beer for the next cookout, it's all goodwill.

Man after my own heart. <g>

Not my field so I can't speak to the specifications necessary, but a quick google search brought up
http://www.nightvisionweb.com/nzt_1.htm
$149. Not sure if it's got the oomph to do what you need or not, but I'd guess that anything that can pick up the temp differential between a 140 lb man and say, 60 degree ambient air @ 100 yds should do the trick. You might have to crank your heat up to 80 degrees on a 40 degree night but . . .
Also consider the light pollution around your house. I suspect that a passive IR device would go all wonky if your nextdoor neighbor has a bank of 100 watt floodlights on his south 40, but I don't know if active IR would compensate.
I'd say give the candle trick a try. Turn off the heat (if you've got forced air) and stand in front of windows/doors. If the flame moves away from the exterior you've got infiltration, towards you've got exfiltration.
I wouldn't worry about sealing up the house *too* tight, it's not healthy. Remember, there were a couple of cases of asphyxiation when the anthrax ("seal up a safe room!") scare was running about.
Hang loose,
Marc

It's the wrong wave length. The word "infrared" covers a wide range of frequencies, and your camcorder won't come close to detecting heat leakage.
Murray Peterson writes:

Blackbody is blackbody. The problem is intensity, not frequency.

There are definitely some frequency issues at stake here. Black body peak output radiation shifts in frequency as the temperature changes:     http://www.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/bbr.xls
The Sony IR sensitivity extends to wavelengths of about 1000nm (near-IR). Thermal emissions of a body at 60 degress C (333 Kelvin) have their peak emissions at a wavelength of 8700nm. The output of a 60 deg C body at 1000nm is negligible, and certainly not detectable by the Sony sensor. Here are some actual experiments by an owner:     http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/d8/ir /
Ir film wont work, the sony wont work, I have 2 with nightshot and super nightshot . And ive used IR film. The ir cameras at last look cost 4000
Murray Peterson writes:

Yes, as I said, the problem is intensity.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:18:37 -0600, Richard J Kinch

Sony's repley follows:
Thank you for contacting SONY Online Support.
We are not aware of any such setup or adjustment. These units were not designed for this function, therefore even if it is possible for them to be used in this fashion, we are not equipped to support these devices for such an application.
Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.
The Sony Internet Support Team Online Support and Services Center CVC1 Scott
Informative and helpfull eh?
email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!
Murray Peterson wrote:

Hi, If one knows and can get a infra red film, use 35mm still camera. Tony