Upping to 200 amp

You will need the utility to be more involved. You will also be replacing the wires from the meter base to the service point (where the drop connects to the house) and they will have to cut their crimps off there. That is not a DIY job. Then they will crimp your new wires onto the drop when you are done.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In addition to fun with live unfused high capacity service wires and forgetting to replace the wires from meter to service point HeyBub forgets that the wires from the meter to the panel must be replaced - he would run the 200A service panel on wires rated 100?60?A. If the wires from the service point to the meter to the panel are in pipe that most likely has to be replaced. Then there is the meter base - rated for 200A? Grounding electrode conductor the right size? Proper grounding electrodes?
Services have a lot of unique requirements. It can certainly be a do-it-yourself project, but only for someone who has a lot of previous experience and has done some reading on services. That doesn't include the OP.
--
bud--

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe. They didn't at my house. Nor my son's house. Nor two of my neighbors (all the original installations by the developer are failing about the same time!).

Are you still using the romex connectors the sparky spliced the service conductors with?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Are those the things that look like coat-hanger wire with a twist?
So that's what they're called!
"HeyBub" wrote

Smile, does it help to explain Mom's 78 and not really up to that sort of shennanigans? We already told her we'd come down and kick her bootie if we find her climbing ladders to paint the place. Her return volley was she has pillows ready for her nether regions ;-)
Mom's a pip but this one gets contracted.
cshenk wrote:

Since the sole reason for upgrading to a 200 amp service is to feed an electric heat system why can't you do the following:
- Replace the meter base to handle 200 amps, if it won't already. (<$100 material) - Install a 200 amp entrance panel and ground it. ($350 material) - Convert the existing entrance panel to a sub-panel, unground it, and feed it from the 200 amp panel. ($30 for a sub-panel feed breaker) - place a breaker adequate to feed the heating system in the new entrance panel. (<$30 material)
Labor shouldn't exceed a morning's work.
The wiring required will be minimal. A feed from the new entrance panel to the (existing) subpanel. A feed to the electric heater.
Boden
"Boden" wrote

Snipped but saved!
Mom and I lack the experience with working with electrical items. Was looking to space heat rooms at need and in worst of winter, use a little propane to suppliment but really only keep 3 rooms warm. Bedroom, living room, kitchen.
Darn, I really need to take a class on electrical stuff. At the best i can say I know what I do not know. Fair enough?

You do know electricity is going up. Id suggest before spending many thousands you research comparitive costs of different fuels by BTU and the benefit of upgrading what you have to a higher efficency unit, you might just loose with electric when you figure in all the costs. Have you even upgraded insulation yet.
"ransley" wrote

Yes and I'm telling her if she gets the plce to consider a pellet stove. Site has not been surveyed yet. Asked only the obvious 'waht would the amp upgrade see to be' for now.
Gonna be a bit before she gets over there.

Here in central Ohio, a few years ago a friend had a contractor replace his 100A panel with a 200A. It required a new meter pan, but not replacing the wires from the pole. Cost was about $1,200.