Updating flat-panel doors

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 08:15:04 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Not us?
Derby Dad
That photo is exactly what I want to do, I'm saving it for my wife to look at. Thanx!!!
| That photo is exactly what I want to do, I'm saving it for my wife to look at. Thanx!!!
Another question is glue. I don't think anyone has mentioned that. A lot of do-it-yourself sites talk about wood glue, but that won't work over polyurethane. Nailing won't work on hollow-core. The only option I can think of being *sort of* dependable would be polyurethane-based construction adhesive. But maybe someone else has a better idea. After all that work you don't want the moldings popping off.
What stores do you know that sell paneled doors for $40??
| What stores do you know that sell paneled doors for $40??
It would be easier if you reply to the post you're addressing and not to your own, original post.
You can get plastic or masonite doors pretty cheap. I don't know about $40, but probably not much more. The trouble is that plastic really looks like junk, with "sandblasted" fake grain, and masonite doors are very low-profile, making them also look fake or odd.
I think the last time I bought a wood panel door at HD it was $80 for a 32x80. Not cheap, but not very expensive. Though much of the reason for the low price is that those doors are also cheap junk, made of glued-up pieces with a surface veneer of pine. If they get a lot of humidity they could start to come apart. And it's not easy to tell which doors are like that and which are not. I assume I'd need to special order a name-brand to get a true solid wood door, but as far as I know the companies don't distinguish between solid and glued-up.
You can get plastic or masonite doors pretty cheap. I don't know about $40, but probably not much more. The trouble is that plastic really looks like junk, with "sandblasted" fake grain, and masonite doors are very low-profile, making them also look fake or odd.
I think the last time I bought a wood panel door at HD it was $80 for a 32x80. Not cheap, but not very expensive. Though much of the reason for the low price is that those doors are also cheap junk, made of glued-up pieces with a surface veneer of pine. If they get a lot of humidity they could start to come apart. And it's not easy to tell which doors are like that and which are not. I assume I'd need to special order a name-brand to get a true solid wood door, but as far as I know the companies don't distinguish between solid and glued-up.
The present doors, all 16 of them, have all the door-latch hardware, and hinges already fitted. Rehanging 16 totally new doors would probably triple the time and effort involved compared to just putting carefully measured and cut trim on them.