Unused Chimney Question

Last spring we changed over from an oil furnace to high efficiency natural gas. The contractor who did the job put a metal cap over the opening where the oil furnace chimney entered the masonry exterior chimney and it is now completely unused. The top of the chimney is still open; should it also be sealed close?
Probably best bet before some bats or birds decide to nest in it are you sure it is not used? Where did he vent the gas furnace?
Wayne

The furnace is vented directly through the wall using plastic vent and exhaust pipes. Guess I'll cap it next spring when things warm up!
wayne wrote:

you
the
What about hot water? Does it still vent thru the chimney?

Wayne is on the right track. There is water penetration and cold air to consider as well. TB
| Last spring we changed over from an oil furnace to high efficiency | natural gas. The contractor who did the job put a metal cap over the | opening where the oil furnace chimney entered the masonry exterior | chimney and it is now completely unused. The top of the chimney is | still open; should it also be sealed close? |
Not "sealed" ait tight, but closed off with a fairly fine mesh or something similar that's permanent in nature. They make covers for that purpose. Don't seal it or you may end up with crumbling problems with it. And, be positive nothing else vents into it on its way to the roof!
Pop
It'll stop rain from entering.