Unsticking a frozen back brake cable

"aliphatic hydrocarbon";CAS 64742-47-8: ~50% of WD-40. Kerosene is about 80% aliphatic hydrocarbons. I think "deodorized kerosene" is parafin-removed kerosene.
I Googled "CAS 64742-47-8",and it comes up "deodorized KEROSENE". http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
In conclusion,WD-40 is about 50% KEROSENE,according to it's own MSDS.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Aliphatic hydrocarbons" is an enormous class of compounds. Just because two things contain aliphatic hydrocarbons does not in any way imply that they are even remotely similar, let alone identical.

Right, and, as should be obvious to anyone who passed third-grade math, that also means it's about 50% *not* kerosene -- which obviously means that it's NOT the same thing as kerosene.
Suppose I offer you a drink. It's half beer and half shit. Will you believe me if I tell you it's beer? After all, it *is* 50% beer, right?

actually,it does,if you bother to check.

Yes,so I checked further. and found KEROSENE,which YOU claimed was NOT in WD-40.

not "exactly",but as the OP said,"basically".

Ah,you won't admit you were wrong. So you weasel. YOU said; "No, Steve, I'm not. You don't know what's in WD-40. Go read the MSDS and find out. Tell us what's there. Hint: it's not kerosene."
Except the MSDS -DOES- say it has 50% kerosene in it. There IS kerosene in there. that proves your statement wrong.
and your analogy is lacking. WD-40 is half kerosene,and half other petroleum oils. IOW,"basically kerosene". A better analogy would be half beer and half ale,but it's still "beer". Or that denatured alcohol is STILL "alcohol",despite it having other things in there.
Man up,Doug.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#a92

PUhleeze! Do not muddle this emotional hissy fight with facts! Sheeesh!
And just because WD40 says there is no kerosene in it doesn't mean there isn't any kerosene in it. You know how these big corporations lie, and how some of the posters here know more than the sum total of the knowledge of mankind, past, present, and future. And that's only the ones in this discussion, and not the sum total for all the Internet.
HTH
Steve
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:25:18 -0700, "Steve B"

However, the fact that there is no kerosene in WD-40 means that there is no kerosene in WD-40, so it works out pretty much the same, regardless. :-)

Well, then there's that .............

Actually, it does *not*, if you bother to check *and* read *and* understand what it says.

Wrong. I said WD-40 and kerosene are not the same thing.
They're not. The MSDS shows that clearly.

Half kerosene and half not-kerosene is not "basically kerosene".

Right: WD-40 *is not* kerosene.

No, I said WD-40 is not kerosene. Just like a glass that's half beer and half shit isn't beer.

By the same "reasoning", a glass of half beer and half shit is "basically beer".
Remind me never to go drinking with you.
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:04:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

WD-40 is not even "half kerosene"
"Kerosene" is a label that can be applied to a wide variety of petroleum distillates, none of which are in the formula for WD-40. Like "stainless steel" or "aluminum", it is a very generic term. In fact, like "Kleenex" and "Asperin" it was originally a trade name for a particular product. The petroleum distillate found in WD-40 is not kerosene, but it is related... So is crude oil. Is WD-40 50% crude oil? If you take lemonade and remove the lemons, is it still lemonade?

No,YOU are being DISHONEST; your words;"tell us what's there.Hint:its not kerosene". You words are right here in this post,for everyone to read. No weaseling can get you out of that.

Yeah,it is.

again,wrong; what's there IS kerosene,along with some other stuff.

I would not drink with anyone so dishonest. You even edited out part of my post about your analogy being poor.
here it is again; "Except the MSDS -DOES- say it has 50% kerosene in it. There IS kerosene in there. that proves your statement wrong.
and your analogy is lacking. WD-40 is half kerosene,and half other petroleum oils. IOW,"basically kerosene". A better analogy would be half beer and half ale,but it's still "beer". Or that denatured alcohol is STILL "alcohol",despite it having other things in there."
any credibility you had is gone.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Right. WD-40 is not kerosene.

Yes, they are. "It's not kerosene." WD-40 is not kerosene.

Learn to read, Jimmy.

So half beer and half shit is "basically beer" by your reasoning.

Other stuff that's NOT KEROSENE. Is a glass of beer that's half other stuff THAT'S NOT BEER still beer?

That's because your analogies are completely faulty. Since you insist on embarrassing yourself by repeating them, I'll show you what's wrong.

I said WD-40 is not kerosene; the MSDS shows that 50% of it is not kerosene; that proved my statement RIGHT.

Wrong. Beer and ale are similar substances. The other 50% of WD-40 isn't even remotely similar to kerosene. You're displaying your ignorance.

Bad comparison. You're displaying your ignorance again. Denatured alcohol is more than 90% alcohol.
WD-40 is half stuff that's chemically similar to kerosene, and half stuff that's not even remotely close to kerosene.
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 05:29:18 -0500, Steve Barker

There is ZERO kerosene in WD-40.
zxcvbob wrote:

Any automotive store, It's the strongest and the fastest rust killer.
--
LSMFT

Smitty Two thinks it makes a good asthma inhaler. He likes the garlic flavored one.
Steve
George wrote:

Motor oil and axle grease are likewise "sticky stuff."
As an aside, WD-40 does as good a job of shining a stainless steel sink as the products made for that purpose.
HeyBub wrote:

And makes the kitchen smell to good?
On 7/16/2010 10:16 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I worked at a defense plant back in 1971 that produced artillery shell safety devices. The round had to spin so many times before it would arm. The clockwork mechanisms of the devices were lubed with WD-40 on the production line. I suppose it was also used to protect the devices in case of moisture intrusion.
TDD

Not as much lubrication as liquid wrench - and PB leaves even more. Best bet is to use a penetrant to free it up, and a lubricant to protect and lubricate it.

use a -real- penetrating oil,like PB Blaster.
but for your brake cable to STAY free,you'll need to work some grease down inside it.that means partially pulling the cable and greasing it,then working it in and out,repeating until the grease has worked well into the cable.
it might be more worthwhile buying a new cable assembly. (and keeping the bike indoors,out of the weather.) BTW,your tires may have rotted,too.the sidewalls may crack,fail,and the inner tube blow thru and pop.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:31:41 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Probably stuck near the ends. PB-Blaster works here.