Unhappy with Aprilair 600 humidifier

Need to measure water consumption and waste from Aprilaire 600 humidifier
It uses heated water and is dumping at least 10+ gallons down the drain, and not doing much to humidify house.
Look for a damper, which might be closed. Normally, those things do a terrific job. Might also need a new media pad. Or, the water may be dropping through, without wetting the media. Or the media may be clogged with minerals. Turn the humidistat up a little?
Need to measure water consumption and waste from Aprilaire 600 humidifier
It uses heated water and is dumping at least 10+ gallons down the drain, and not doing much to humidify house.
You can also turn down the water. I cranked mine down so that when it was on a working for awhile there was only a very small trickle of water out the drain.

With the water wide open the waste was in excess of 10 gallons a day Right now with only a trickle going though, it's still about 5 gallons a day.
On 1/2/2013 5:51 PM, Cliff H wrote:

I never read the instructions for one, but I thought that is what you were supposed to do. You want to keep the plates wet. Flushing some water through will reduce mineral buildup.
RTFM?

What makes you imagine I didn't read the manual I'm one of those guys that get well paid because others don't read their manuals
I'm using more water in winter, than in the other 3 seasons when SWMBO is watering the garden at the drop of a hose.
I used far less water with portable humidifiers and humidity was more consistent Hence my unhappiness.
I am looking for a way to measure accurately what goes into the humidifier, and what comes out, at different settings. So I can figure how how much water is just plain flushed by this system
So now that we've discussed side issues Does ANYONE have any suggestions for a simple mechanical off-the-shelf flow meter to measure relatively low-level water going in and coming out of the humidifier ?

I don't see why you need a way to measure the water flow since you posted yesterday that it was 10 gallons a day and now it's down to 5 gallons by partially closing the valve. So, apparently you've already measured the flow rate coming out the drain. If you want to figure out how much is being evaporated, just run the humidifier water for some measurement period without the furnace/blower running and record the volume as you did before. This number will be higher and the difference would be what's going into the house.
Also, I would not be worried about it being hot water that is going into the humidifier, that it's a waste of hot water. The water coming out of the humidifier will be down to about room temp due to evaporation. So, you're recovering most of the heat. And don't know your cost of water, but around here 5 or 10 gallons a day isn't enought to worry about.
How large is the house where you can't get enough humidity? Outside temps?

# I don't see why you need a way to measure the water # flow since you posted yesterday that it was 10 gallons # a day and now it's down to 5 gallons by partially closing # the valve. So, apparently you've already measured # the flow rate coming # out the drain. If you want to figure out how much is # being evaporated, just run the humidifier water for some # measurement period without the furnace/blower running # and record the volume as you did before. This number # will be higher and the difference would be what's going # into the house.
1) That was ONLY outflow 2) It was also a crude estimate by channeling the outflow into a bucket
# # Also, I would not be worried about it being hot water that # is going into the humidifier, that it's a waste of hot water. # The water coming out of the humidifier will be down to # about room temp due to evaporation. So, you're recovering # most of the heat. And don't know your cost of water, but # around here 5 or 10 gallons a day isn't enought to worry # about. # # How large is the house where you can't get enough # humidity? Outside temps?
So in effect, you don't have an answer
I think I have clearly stated my intent I have considered alternate choices I'm looking for a couple of simple flow meters For my own reasons, I would like to have a better idea of inflow and outflow over time mapped against outside temp and humidity levels, and inside temp and humidify levels I really don't want to work measuring buckets.

Yes, I know that, as was clear in my reply.

So, do it again and measure it accurately. You can't figure out how much water is in a bucket?

I gave you the answer. One more time. Measure the water flowing out of the humidifier into a bucket for 30 mins WITH THE FURNACE/BLOWER NOT RUNNING. Hence, virtually no water is being evaporated, it's all going into the bucket. You now know how much water if flowing INTO THE HUMIDIFIER.
Now, repeat the above with the furnace running for 30 mins. You will have less water, because now some of it is being evaporated. The difference between those two volumes of water is how much water went into the house in 30 mins of furnace operation.

You didn't state that you wanted to turn this into a full scale 24/7 humidifier monitoring project. From what you stated, it appeared you were concerned that the humidifier was not working correcty and not putting much mositure into the house:
"Need to measure water consumption and waste from Aprilaire 600 humidifier It uses heated water and is dumping at least 10+ gallons down the drain, and not doing much to humidify house. "
"The 30 min approach with a bucket is cheap, easy and will give you a good idea of what the humidifier is doing. You will know about how much water goes into the house and how much down the drain for every hour the humidifier operates. That would be more than sufficient for my needs and I would think the needs of almost anyone questioning if a new humidifier works correctly.
It sounds like what you now want is a full instrumentation of the system. A flow meter on the water line in, one on the line out, a monitor for inside and outside temp, inside and outside humidity, logging of the furnace run times, logging of the humidifier run times. Run it all to a dedicated PC to record the data. So, what exactly do you need from us in the way of an answer?
Sounds like a big waste of time and money to me, when a bucket and a watch will get to the essence of the situation. But then I've installed 2 Aprilaires and they both worked perfectly. I have one running in my house right now. It maintains the humidity perfectly. Any time humidifiers are discussed here, Aprilaire always gets very high marks as one of the best manufacturers out there. Sounds like either you have it installed incorrectly or are one of those people with unreasonable expectations.
<snip useless crap>
My problem was clearly stated I am looking for a couple of flow meters
Not buckets, not anything else
Which part did you not understand ?

This is your entire original post:
"Need to measure water consumption and waste from Aprilaire 600 humidifier It uses heated water and is dumping at least 10+ gallons down the drain, and not doing much to humidify house. "
Note that nothing in there says anything about wanting flow meters. It suggests the core of the problem is that you're concerned about the humidifier not putting enough water into the air and too much going down the drain.
THAT can be determined with a bucket and a watch. THAT approach costs nothing, takes very little effort to do. It's simple. It works. Most people would be looking for that.
Also noted is nothing about what the current climate is, the size of the house, how much the furnace is running, what the humidity level actually is.
Then you later refined it to this:
"I am looking for a way to measure accurately what goes into the humidifier, and what comes out, at different settings. So I can figure how how much water is just plain flushed by this system "
Which again is addressed by the solution using a bucket and timer that I offered. With the bucket and timer approach, you could determine if the max output of the humidifier meets the spec sheet rating.
"So now that we've discussed side issues Does ANYONE have any suggestions for a simple mechanical off-the-shelf flow meter to measure relatively low-level water going in and coming out of the humidifier ? "
Then you posted:
"For my own reasons, I would like to have a better idea of inflow and outflow over time mapped against outside temp and humidity levels, and inside temp and humidify levels I really don't want to work measuring buckets. "
Which now finally says what you really want are flow meters. Probablly compatible with some kind of grand system that is going to monitor the whole thing over time. We aren't mind readers.
I've tried to be helpful here. Others have too. If all you want are flow meters, how hard is that to find? Did you use Google? Look on Ebay? If all you want is a flow meter, why didn't you make a post just stating that, instead of one complaining about the performance of your humidifier? Even if someone here did give you a link to a flow meter, then you'd be bitching because they can't be interfaced to monitor over time or whatever. We're not mind readers. The group is pretty good though at coming up with what is wrong with a simple thing like a humidifier. But apparently that isn't what's important to you.
And again, I've owned two Aprilaire humidifiers and both did an excellent job of humidification. I've seen many reports, over the years here, all good here about Aprilaire. So, there must be something unique about your situation. And instead of exploring THAT,you insist on instrumenting up the house.
Good luck with that.

Pad is new as of (very late) October when furnace was inspected and started up for winter Damper is wide open Control has been slowly turned up to highest level Humidity level never went past 30% (42 was optimal last year)
The whole install is new as of summer of 2010.