Unethical

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:02:09 -0700, "Pico Rico"

I agree that there is some unnecessary overhead in a lot of building departments but it tends to be at the top. Funny thing happened in the housing slowdown. They laid off all of the junior people, mostly inspectors and those guys who used to spend their days drinking coffee and going to meetings, hit the road. The rule was, the more licenses you held, the better your chance was to stay. First to go were "code enforcement" those people who write tickets for junk cars in the yard and uncut lawns, because they generally only hold a driver's license. Then they started working their way up through building inspectors who only had one license (electrical, plumbing or whatever) The senior people were the most likely to hold a full boat (Structural, Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical) They still had to be willing to hit the road.
You are still more likely to get a reinspection card when they are busy than when they are slow. They are not willing to spend any time working with you, they gotta go.
I did not work for a municipality I worked for the state and things were usually slow for me. I would stay there and watch the guy fix a violation if he was ready to do it right then. Typically my travel time was more than the actual inspection (I covered 8 counties) so it was more efficient for me to make one trip out of it.
micky wrote:

Suggesting that a case of Scotch in the appropriate trunk would expedite the approvals?

In my patch, that would have slowed down your job because I would red tag the job and have you explain to the CBO what the scotch was all about.
Too many lawyers for that kind of stuff these days and inspectors can go to jail.

Lots of things have changed in Florida since then. To start with "inspector" is not a patronage position these days. You can't just be the mayor's son in law. You need to be certified and licensed

But that does not mean you cannot accept tips. My stepfather was a contractor and did a lot of major remodels and makeovers. His work was good and always to code. When the inspector came, it was my mother's job to put an envelope someplace, on a counter, whatever. It was always gone when he left. This was in a large east coast city that employed dozens of inspectors.
micky wrote:

Give the guy $200 and his "ethics" will go away.
--
"I know shit's bad right now with all that starvin' bullshit. And the
dust storms. And we runnin' out of French Fries and burrito coverings.

I was never offered a tip and I would not have taken it if offered.
If for no other reason, too fuggun many lawyers.
If I passed a violation for a tip and someone got injured or there was any significant property damage someone would sue my ass off.
As long as I am doing my job, I am covered by sovereign immunity but willful misconduct is the exception to that immunity. It is not the wild west anymore.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I grew up back east and that's how a lot of things went. Actually the system functioned quite well. The bureaucrats have some skin in the game and it's to their economic advantage to ensure things get done.

That is totally unethical. Just as a cop receiving a free lunch.
On 11/2/2014 12:10 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

Of course it is, but that was just a normal workday. In our town with one inspector, I'd never think of such a thing, but in the big city, it was common. Had nothing to do with violations, but it may have in some cases.

Some of the responding posters seem to miss that your father's work was to code and didn't have to redo anything.
In 1970, I took a bus from Nuevo Laredo Mexcico, on the border with Texas, and they place the customs station about 5 or 10 miles from the border (to make life simple for Mexicans living close to the border, and simple to go from the US to Mexico and back**) . It was dark out already, with no lights on the bus itself, A customs inspector got on and I saw everyone in sight take out what I'm sure was money and give it to him. Maybe they were all importing something and really owed customs. Maybe that was an advantage of going to the border, something like the duty-free store in an airport, but at the time, I thought they were mostly bribing the inspector.
I had nothing that was new and would not have owed customs, so I just say there, looking like an American. The inspector ignored me. Didn't even ask if I had anything to declare.
So were they bribing him or not?
**I slept 2 or 3 nights in Mexico, where it was cheaper, and 1 of the 3 times I walked back to the US, I had to drop my pants for a search. But I didnt' have to go through Customs!
On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 05:00:22 -0800 (PST), trader_4

As I said in my OP "This story must have lost something in transmission."
Adam Kubias posted for all of us...

malfeasance, misfeasance, nonfeasance...
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

It all boils down to some people have ethics and some people don't. One can read this daily in the newz and here in the groups. Always trying the shortcut... I love the TV show "Catch a Contractor". They have now caught Manny twice!
--
Tekkie