Underground Sprinkler System Cut-Off Valve

The main shut-off valve to my underground sprinkler system is in my crawl space.

I would like to hire someone to extend the shut-off valve underneath the foundation of my house, to the outside.

I know it would have to be buried down deep, below the frost line.

Has anyone done this? Is it a huge headache to do this?

Many thanks, and if you have any tips, please pass those on too.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Where do you live, in what Temp Zone, im in zone 5 and freeze depth is near 2.5-3 feet, you have to go with record lows or some year it will ruin the valve. There is probably good reason its where it is, mine is in the heated basement.

Reply to
ransley

How about leaving the valve in the basement and just adding a valve outside? Then in summer, leave inside valve on and use outside valve. Winter leave outside valve on, turn inside valve off.

Another option is to install an electric valve after the manual valve in the basement. Then run wires to a switch upstairs. Or install a timer so it goes on automatically.

All sorts of options!

Reply to
Bill

What I have done with regular water line coming in is to run a shut off valve in series with the incoming line in a closet so I can shut off when I need to repair or change any plumbing with out going under house. You could use this method also for your sprinkler line. WW

Reply to
WW

I agree, you'd be way better off exptendingthe shut off valve up to a closet wall somewhere. Or over so it is right by your crawl door. What's the problem with it now, you have to go way under the hosue to get to it? Mines in the crawl but I put it right by the crawl door.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Every municipality uses exterior water shut off valves buried below local frost levels. Call your water department and ask what company makes them, and then contact a good plumbing outfit to install a version that suits your needs. Some can be buried in deep covered boxes, some actually have ground level means of turning off and on. The result should be pretty much a durable and trouble free system IMO.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I am in central Washington state. My three other homes in this city had the turn off outside, buried deep in a box.

Sorry, but I don't know what zone I am in.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Unless I am missing something here, I would still have to crawl underneath the house. I am trying to get away from that.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

My Dad did this and it worked great.

My problem is that this valve is underneath my kitchen, and there is not one closet in sight, but maybe I could run it to the pantry, but that is quite a distance. You did give me something more to think about though. A plumber sure could tell me if this would be easy enough to do.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Now that is a great idea too.

Yes, the problem is that I have to crawl the entire length of my house to get to it. It is the black widows that concern me, plus it is a bear crawling that far. I always take my cell phone with me in case something happens.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Thanks for this idea Joe. Most of the valves in my city are outside, buried deep in a box. I feel safe with it in the crawl space as it won't freeze, but it is a hassle crawling to turn it on/off every spring/fall.

Our temps generallly get down to zero during the winter.

Reply to
Kate

I don't suppose you could just install a long (a few feet long) valve stem that puts the handle outside? That would be easy!

Reply to
Tony

Zero might be zone 7 and its a deep box, google US Zone map or USDA plant hardiness map, if you have Perrennial plants, you need to know your Zone.

Reply to
ransley

Wonder if you can cut a hatch through the floor. Lay on the floor, and reach down to the valve?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe screw the valve handle to a length of two by two lumber, that could be turned. While reaching in through an access hatch though the floor?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That would be great, but this is right underneath my kitchen. I wish I could run it up into my pantry, but it won't work.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Is the valve in such a place that you could fudge on an extension to the valve handle so you could turn it on from outside? If the valve is a ball valve, this could be as simple as a stool rod with a bent end going through a hole near the end of the handle, which you would push or pull to operate the valve.

Reply to
Bob F