Unbreakable pipe (freeze proof)

Page 1 of 2

I need to solve a water drainage problem. I need a source for pipe or tubing that will not break when the standing water in it freezes.
It doesn't matter if it freezes. I just need it to not break. It will be run100 feet horizontal just under the surface of the lawn.

Rubber hose run through a PVC conduit?
Noozer wrote:

Rubber hose run through a PVC conduit?
good suggestion, aren't many pipe materials that will expand about 5% (10% along th ee pipe axis) without cracking or rupturing.
Most plastics used for pipe yield at ~2% expansion
Polybutyl? (PB) might work....but I'd test it first.
cheers Bob

If you want to be sure it won't break there's no substitute for burying it at or below the correct depth (frost line) for your area. Check with local municipality or utilities.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Or you could just fill a foot long section, plug it and put it in the freezer maybe?
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Can you arrange the system so there is an air space in the pipe above the water?
Mark

No
perforated drain pipe?
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

What is that?
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 16:17:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Is this a gravity drain system, or are you pumping? If the former, why do you care whether the pipe cracks?

Gravity fed. The water is suppose to go from point A to point B when it is not froze. If it was cracked it would leak underground at that point and cause a bog.
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:12:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Is it gravity fed to open air? In that case, most times it will be empty anyway. It will only freeze up when the underground part (or downhill end) is below freezing when the water supply isn't.
Unless the end is plugged, even if it's cracked, water should prefer flosing in the pipe to working it's way out into the ground. You'd get enough to encourage root-growth in that direction, but you shouldn't get a bog.
Unless you just like to see a lot of posts, don't make us pry the relevent details out of you. Where are you? (What climate). Where is the water coming from, and how much of it is there? Where are you trying to get the water to go? What's the intervening terrain? Is there power available?
--Goedjn

There is no downhill end. It is horizontal and will have standing water in it.

The present system makes a bog. That is why I need a pipe that will not break.

This post is an attempt to see if there are any realistic solutions to an existing broken drain pipe system. This is not my system but my uphill neighbors system. If I can come up with an easy solution for his water drainage system it will end my water bogged back yard. If not I will have to go to court to get it solved, but for now I am just looking for an easy way for my neighbor to fix his problem.
plumbers are cheaper than attorneys.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

That is why I posted my original post.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Yes but the OP asked a vey specfic questions.......IMO the wrong one
Your "problem description" (until ~10+ back & forth posts, guesses, questions) has been incomplete & vague.
If you want good viable soltuons you have to lay out the situation so people can understand, analyze & solve it.
I don't understand how water draining from your "uphill" (how much uphill?) neighbor's yard to a storm dran can have standing water & create a "bog"
Got to have blockage and / or a "low spot" in the run. Drains are not supposed to have standing water...mosquitoes!
Based on your peicemeal description:
don't worry about freezing, bigger pipe is better (3"+) , a 1" line in the application will not work, correct the slope issues so you have no standing water (no standing water, no freezing issues) , correct any blockage or potential for blockage.
A hundred foot run isn't thatn far but you need ~2' of fall along that length to get reiable flushing flow.
Fix the problem correctly.......like someone said plumbers (actually a landscape guy) are cheaper than attorneys (plus the result will be much more satisfying)
good luck YMMV
cheers

The details of where or why are irrelevant. I could be in need of tubing or piping that will not break when standing water was left in it for use on the moon. It wouldn't make any difference. I still need the pipe, and that is all that I was asking for.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Not necessarily. "Right answer to the wrong question."
An open-ended Sch 40 or above steel pipe isn't going to split (ultimate burst pressure is roughly 8000 psi), but it still isn't necessarily the solution to the problem as described. The pressure will relieved along the length before it actually splits.
I don't have data for solid-wall PVC handy, but I'd be pretty confident large diameter Sch 40 won't either, and quite comfortable w/ Sch 80. But, still doesn't sound like it's the way to get rid of your problem.
Would seem far better to either divert the water from above around the property or if that's not possible/practical, provide adequate grade for the runoff or an open drainage system of some sort (not necessarily not covered, just not solid pipe subject to the freezing problems).
Seems as though you're fixated on the pipe and not willing to consider alternatives nor providing sufficient data/information to elicit really useful responses other than conjectures of what the situation _might_ be.
Saw an episode on "Ask TOH" just a few weeks ago of very similar nature on an buried drain---solution again had little specifically to do with the drain itself but I could easily envision that homeowner asking essentially the same question that wouldn't have elicited the response to come and look at the actual problem and get a fix.

I have no power to advise a neighbor on how to do the job correctly. That advise would range from no underground plumbing at all to an elaborate expensive re-engineering/re-installation job.That type of advice can only be given by a judge if it goes that far.
The only thing I can do is see if there is an alternative unbreakable pipe that can simply replace the existing broken one. I might be able to convince the neighbor to do this simple inexpensive job. Even though doing this is a jimmy rigged solution to a faulty design it still satisfies my problem of an artificial bogg forming in my back yard.
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:19:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Silverwing's laws, #37. http://www.geocities.com/athens/forum/2888/laws.html