Uh, fun ..............

Did some work today on a metal awning, measurements, about 15' x 15'6". Cut the sheets 16', and will trim in place to mate to gutter. Tomorrow, I'm going to have to put up the topmost purlin, attaching it to the stucco face of the enclosure. I am working by myself, so there is a lot of up and down ladders. I think I will take two 8' or so 3" x 3" x .120" tubes, and hang them over the parapet about a foot, and anchor them with a bucket of water on the long end. Should be enough leverage to lift a 15' trimmed purlin up at two attachment points. I have some rigging eyes that have a bolt on the end, and a nut, which I will probably drill. Then stringline the grade, and adjust the two other purlins setting on top of four 3x3 posts.

It's been a long time since I wrestled with this stuff, and am sore today from hoisting 20 footers around and trimming. But, if I go slow and safe, it should to okay. I will take some pics.

Youth is squandered on the young.

Then, I have to raise a mast with a big metal halide light/transformer combination over my shop on a 12' pole. I will weld a swivel pad eye on the bottom, a stop, and raise it with my ATV part ways, and come along the rest of the way, having three guy wires on it.

As I say, I can do this, but it sure is getting to be a hassle to wrestle this steel at my age. I used to be able to carry a 20' 3x3x.120 stick by myself.

Not any more.

Just hope I don't fall off anything, or nothing busts .....................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Went out today, and it started a nice day. Then the wind blew up to 40. I shut it down, but did manage to get the big purlin hung on the wall, so now I can stringline them, cant them, weld it up, and slap the sheets on there. A FULL day would do it, but probably two partial days.

I hate those projects where you have to break into old stuff. More prevalent in the east where there are older houses.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No friends ???? WW>

Reply to
WW

Never around when you really need them, are they?

And I used to do this for a living. It's amazing what one guy can do if he knows what he's doing. But, it is much easier with two people.

Here are some photos of what I got done today before the wind blew in at forty. Have to now align tops, weld them on, install sheets, and mount guttering.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B