Question on Contracting Some Work

This may be the ultimate off-topic question for this group, but can anyone give me any advice when getting a builder to do some work on my house?

I need to re-vamp a kitchen and bathroom, plus knock a couple of walls through. I assume I should ask to see their insurance, etc. but what else should I check for?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Probably a good idea to have a completion timetable and penalties for late finishing - some builders will go away and leave a job part done if a more lucrative one turns up. There again lots of builders might decline the work if they think you might be a pain to work for, or if it might end up costing them money. Regarding the wall removal, have you had it assessed by a structural engineer?

Reply to
Rob Morley

You might find getting a copy of the following worthwhile

Getting the builders in ... and staying in control, Paul J Grimaldi, Elliott Right Way Books, 0-7160-3012-8. £9.99

The appendices include General Conditions, Sample Brief, General COnstruction Notes and Typical Specification Clauses, Planning Regs, Glossary of Construction Terms, Sample Letters, Example Statement and Claim for Damages.

RIBA sell copies of standard contracts,

JCT (Joint Contracts Tribunal) Building Contract for a Home Owner / Occupier. Package includes two copies (one for client and one for contratcor) and set of conditions. Available to purchase from RIBA

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Check out the Federation of Master Builders site at

. Lots of info there.

First check on experience - builders are not necessary kitchen and bathroom fitters. Get recommendations, not just out of the yellow pages. Ask the local Planning or Building Control dept or Trading Standards for any 'recommended list' of local contractors

Ask questions to gauge their experience - but research first so that you know the answers to the questions. Ask who is doing the work, and their experience. Have a look at work done 1 or more years ago, not just the recent jobs. Ask previous customers about post completion faults, and how they performed when doing the work

Get itemised quotes and make sure they are quoting on the same specification - make up your outline spec first. Have a contract in place, which details scope of the work, timescales, payment stages, warranty, dispute resolution procedures.

Remember that there is nothing wrong with the small one man band, and a big company does not guarantee the best job.

But importantly, treat them fairly and don't assume every builder is out to rip you off or do shoddy work.

dg

Reply to
dg

They are not allowed to do this.

Reply to
Suz

Officially ... but when I was a BCO we would give out names of firms we knew to be OK, out of self-interest as much as anything else. The real problem was that these firms were generally booked up for months ahead (one of the best ran an 18-month waiting list and you were honoured if he deigned to add you to it) and people wanted someone who could start imminently.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Many Councils provide lists of contractors who have done lots of work in the area with no problems, or may be members of various 'quality schemes'. The Council will offer the list without warranty, and they will not be termed 'approved contractors' though.

dg

Reply to
dg