two sinks?

I was in a French hotel, recently, that had two sinks - one where you'd expect, in the counter, and another beside the bathtub - shorter than even you'd expect a toilet to be. Here's a picture:
http://www.geocities.com/terra1024/sink.jpg
The toilet was in a separate room.
Anyway, my question is... what's the point of this second shorter sink?

Its a Bidet to wash yer ass.
yawnmoth wrote:

I can't believe someone actually ask this question. Guess Barrack was right we need to learn to speak French or a least learn some culture of other countries.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

My childhood was in urban city. French is limited to Coupe deVille.

One way to learn is by asking. Not that you gave an answer or anything. Unlike ransley, to whom I am most appreciative.
yawnmoth wrote:

Why would I answer the question twice? Isn't that a little redundant?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
yawnmoth wrote:

Foot washer for Muslims? There's a lot of 'em in France.
If it were a bidet, it would have a fountain type water dispenser rather than a faucet.

Its a bidet, its shorter than a toilet, its no kiddy sink and you sit on it, them french and their butt washing machines because they are to lazy to shower, I saw alot of them in 3 years over there. I even saw in use the Hole In The Floor, you are supposed to aim your shit standing, into a 8" hole and not hit your pants.
ransley wrote:

No, not standing, squatting. Something us Amurricans are seldom capable of, past the age of 10 or so. The standard method of taking a dump in the 2/3 of the world where modern plumbing is a recent innovation. At least when you take a dump in the woods, you can use a tree trunk to lean against.
-- aem sends...

Sounds like typical ignorance of customs elswhere in this world; including a snide reference to "because they are too lazy to take a shower".
Now, that's an assumption if there ever was.
Rather like saying perhaps; Forty percent of Americans are overweight ..... "because they eat too much". That's also just a snide reference to something that may not be true either! Correct?
terry wrote:

I wouldn't be that PC. Americans are overeating Slobs.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

That is a bidet, to wash your butt in.