Turn off water and gas when out of town

Page 2 of 2
bob haller wrote:

I think that my next door neighbors would be willing to keep an eye on our place, as I would be with theirs. (on one side that is; the lady on the other side passed away and the house is for sale. Gotta suck for her family to have to sell in this market.)
Now the people across the street... I dunno.
To the topic at hand; I do turn off the water and WH when I leave for more than a day. Last time I didn't, we were only gone for three days but of course that is when the T&P valve on the main water heater stuck open. Fortunately only a small patch of carpet was damaged; the flooding was confined to the laundry room and that was the impetus I needed to rip up the crappy old floor tiles.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Sorta depends on the area. We go back and forth all the time checking on each other. Of course the "rookie" in the neighborhood has lived there 10 years now and 5 of the 8 houses in the immediate area are occupied by original owners from 20 years ago. We are running low on kids for mowing, but that is more a function of lack of teens than anything else.
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

I turn mine off if the house will be empty for more than a week. I turn off the gas to save money (and as an extreme safety measure). I turn off the water in case of a leaks.
Water leaks do happen spontaneously, and often. Having said that, by far the most common cause is the failure of the flexible hoses to washing machines and dish washers. I've installed high quality flex hoses and so my risk is greatly reduced. But it takes 30 seconds to turn the entire water supply to the house off and I'd rather do that than face a small risk of major damage and a serious cleanup project.
Although I turn off the water supply to my house, I have it arranged so the sprinkers can remain on. That's critical for a long summer vacation unless I want to return home to a dead lawn and plants.
I leave the power on but disconnect most outlets except for the fridge/freezers and security lights.
fftt wrote:

Just because nothing has ever happened in your absence doesn't mean it never will and it doesn't logically extend to others that your experience means nothing will happen to them. Plenty of folks have come home to find a flood and/or extensive damage because a fitting let go or a supply line ruptured etc.

George-
I make the risk vs reward calc.....turning the water off is easy, esp since when I re-plumbed I can now kill water the house & still leave the yard water active. But I still dont do it.
Turning off the gas requires relighting stove, water heater & furnace pilots....too much effort for (imo) very little added benefit.
imo good maintenance is a better way to go than shutting off the water when gone for a couple weeks......fittings & supply lines can "let go" when you're at work ....and most people spend WAY more time away from home at work than on vacation. Even a relatively brief leak can yield a flood & extensive damage. So on a "time / risk adjusted basis" one is more "exposed" to failure everyday than while on vacation. Yeah, if you dont have a neghbor watching out for your house the water can run a LONG time but most of the damage is done very quickly.
You're right about supply lines letting go at any time....my neighbor had an ancient supply line blow out, but she was home. The water ran for about 15 minutes until she discovered the failure & shut off the angle stop. Her husband wasn't preventive maintenance type of guy....the failed supply line was probably 20 years old; plastic & brittle. The supply line failed in an upstairs bathroom...flooding the wooden floor, the ceiling below, the book shelves & the first floor wooden floor...... a huge mess & expense.
If shutting down the gas & water when you're gone gives you peace of mind...go for it....but the "real" exposure exists everyday.
cheers Bob

yeah everyday has risks. just worrying excessively about home or anything can make you ill.
personally fixing anything around home is better than being ill..........
so what if someone breaks in while your away? or sets your home on fire?
observant neighbor might try using your garden hose to put out nuisance fire set by kids. but with your water off fire grows........
its impossible to protect against everything:(
In article

The water being off won't effect the ice maker at all.
When I go out of town for any long period, I (try to) plan ahead and save some $$ by emptying out and unplugging the refrigerator. Also, as I don't have an alarm or anything else requiring power, I also shut off the main breaker. Not suggested if you live where leaving light or whatever on is necessary for security. (A flashlight is left by the front door in case I return after dark)
If you do shut down the refrigerator, do so by unplugging so you won't have to later mess with readjusting temperatures and all that. Be sure to open everything up, and block it's door/s open, or it'll be really skanky when you get back.
Erik
PS, A little off topic, but another thing I do is keep a $5.00 bill permanently placed in plain sight, and positioned to be the first thing visible upon opening the door... should it ever not be there, the cops will be called. (Needless to say I live alone, and the bill isn't visible from outside.)
Erik wrote:

When I was burglarized a few months ago, they walked right past cash and went for my guitar.

It will be fine.
On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:46:40 -0700 (PDT), Yong Huang

Yes, but it will make low quality ice.

I know I'm more than a little late but.......
Talk to your insurance agent about wha tis expected/require by your insurance company. Talk to your plumber about what he recommends. Why rely on a bunch of semi functional anonymous strangers?
Doug Brown wrote:

That's insulting! I'll have you know that I'm a completely non-functional anonymous stranger and I'm stranger than most.
TDD

Cool
Neat
Awsome
Sick
Whatever the propler current term is
And just so ya knows - - - you're not alone!
Doug Brown wrote:

After all these years, <sniff, sob, tears> I'm not alone. There are others just like me. I've been so lonely and now, I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one.
TDD

well a wire could short and start a fire, so probably good to power off the home, ahh except dark home may make it a break in target.
its iompossible to protect against everything............
better to be well insured, and enjoy your vacation