Turn off water and gas when out of town

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good, nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Reply to
Yong Huang

The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze solid.

Reply to
evodawg

Nonsense.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Whatever.

Reply to
evodawg

you should also turn off the icemaker

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

how?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I believe the fill tube for the ice maker actually drains after filling the ice cube mold. The designers considered it freezing up. Perhaps that's why the solenoid valve is down by the compressor on most standard refrigerators. When I wrote drains, I mean the water tube is made in such a way that it will empty much like a frost proof outdoor spigot.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

fine, FWIW, Ive seen it happen more than once. I've charged every time it happened, so go for it. Empty what, you turn off water it still has pressure in it unless youre smart enough to drain the outside sill c*ck.

Reply to
evodawg

how?

The icemaker can freeze if it tries to make a batch and does not fill properly. Water dispenser should be OK. Just turn the ice maker off and it should be OK. Yes, I've had it happen when I had the water off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Duh..? WTF are you talking about dude..? When you're in a hole, stop digging..Your original response shows you know about as much as the OP...

Reply to
in2dadark

Why would the water being off have anything to do with how the refrigerator runs..? I don't think your people should be messing with anything of this nature.. Leave it to he handyman.

Reply to
in2dadark

Why bother? What is your objective?

I've owned homes for 30 years & never bothered to turn off the gas or water for short vacancies.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Turning things off may get you hot water tank hard to relight, valves leaking etc. open water valve at low point top drain excess pressure.turn all hot water tanks off, if yours leaks it can start a fire or burn out elements.

a old neighbor turned off their water and went on vacation, some kids opened hose valve for a drink, no water. they left hose on and walked away. hose siphoned water from home, ruined hot water heater after it got low on water

some main water valves are never moved, another neighbor thought his was off, left valve in washtub on, and had wonderful 3 weeks in alaska. had monumental water and sewer bill while away. the valve mus of not been all the way off, water ran while they were gone, and flooded their basement

the more important issues are keeping house looking lived in, stop mail pick up junk mail and trash in yard, cut grass move drapes.

check with your insurance company a vacant home attracts vandals. have a trusted neighbor walk thru and check on things, lights on timers, perhaps a radio on a timer.

Reply to
bob haller

I turn mine off if the house will be empty for more than a week. I turn off the gas to save money (and as an extreme safety measure). I turn off the water in case of a leaks.

Water leaks do happen spontaneously, and often. Having said that, by far the most common cause is the failure of the flexible hoses to washing machines and dish washers. I've installed high quality flex hoses and so my risk is greatly reduced. But it takes 30 seconds to turn the entire water supply to the house off and I'd rather do that than face a small risk of major damage and a serious cleanup project.

Although I turn off the water supply to my house, I have it arranged so the sprinkers can remain on. That's critical for a long summer vacation unless I want to return home to a dead lawn and plants.

I leave the power on but disconnect most outlets except for the fridge/freezers and security lights.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

How would you drain it?

Have you ever seen a frost-proof outdoor spigot? Remember, in this case, we're not talking about turning off all the water, only this spigot, so of course the pipe still has pressure in it, but the outside sill c*ck doesn't require any draining. That's the whole point of the design.

Reply to
mm

Nate Nagel wrote in news:gvcvbl02rc0 @news2.newsguy.com:

...simply by pushing the "ice full" bar up.

Reply to
Red Green

The water being off won't effect the ice maker at all.

When I go out of town for any long period, I (try to) plan ahead and save some $$ by emptying out and unplugging the refrigerator. Also, as I don't have an alarm or anything else requiring power, I also shut off the main breaker. Not suggested if you live where leaving light or whatever on is necessary for security. (A flashlight is left by the front door in case I return after dark)

If you do shut down the refrigerator, do so by unplugging so you won't have to later mess with readjusting temperatures and all that. Be sure to open everything up, and block it's door/s open, or it'll be really skanky when you get back.

Erik

PS, A little off topic, but another thing I do is keep a $5.00 bill permanently placed in plain sight, and positioned to be the first thing visible upon opening the door... should it ever not be there, the cops will be called. (Needless to say I live alone, and the bill isn't visible from outside.)

Reply to
Erik

Well there's no sense answering any more questions in here, since you're all experts. Have fun your on your own. This newsgroup has been kill filed. Like I have time for it anyway. see ya!

Reply to
evodawg

Thats exactly what I do when I know we won't be using ice. Problem solved.

Reply to
George

Didny you just say everyone posts crap and you have better things to do, well divo, your answer is a zero.

Reply to
ransley