Turn off water and gas when out of town

Page 1 of 2
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good, nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.
Yong Huang
Yong Huang wrote:

The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze solid.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Nonsense.
Doug Miller wrote:

Whatever.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
Doug Miller wrote:

I believe the fill tube for the ice maker actually drains after filling the ice cube mold. The designers considered it freezing up. Perhaps that's why the solenoid valve is down by the compressor on most standard refrigerators. When I wrote drains, I mean the water tube is made in such a way that it will empty much like a frost proof outdoor spigot.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

fine, FWIW, Ive seen it happen more than once. I've charged every time it happened, so go for it. Empty what, you turn off water it still has pressure in it unless youre smart enough to drain the outside sill cock.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Duh..? WTF are you talking about dude..? When you're in a hole, stop digging..Your original response shows you know about as much as the OP...
in2dadark wrote:

Well there's no sense answering any more questions in here, since you're all experts. Have fun your on your own. This newsgroup has been kill filed. Like I have time for it anyway. see ya!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

How would you drain it?
Have you ever seen a frost-proof outdoor spigot? Remember, in this case, we're not talking about turning off all the water, only this spigot, so of course the pipe still has pressure in it, but the outside sill cock doesn't require any draining. That's the whole point of the design.

how?

how?
The icemaker can freeze if it tries to make a batch and does not fill properly. Water dispenser should be OK. Just turn the ice maker off and it should be OK. Yes, I've had it happen when I had the water off.

Didny you just say everyone posts crap and you have better things to do, well divo, your answer is a zero.
Yong Huang wrote:

you should also turn off the icemaker
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

...simply by pushing the "ice full" bar up.
Red Green wrote:

Thats exactly what I do when I know we won't be using ice. Problem solved.

Why would the water being off have anything to do with how the refrigerator runs..? I don't think your people should be messing with anything of this nature.. Leave it to he handyman.

Why bother? What is your objective?
I've owned homes for 30 years & never bothered to turn off the gas or water for short vacancies.
cheers Bob

Turning things off may get you hot water tank hard to relight, valves leaking etc. open water valve at low point top drain excess pressure.turn all hot water tanks off, if yours leaks it can start a fire or burn out elements.
a old neighbor turned off their water and went on vacation, some kids opened hose valve for a drink, no water. they left hose on and walked away. hose siphoned water from home, ruined hot water heater after it got low on water
some main water valves are never moved, another neighbor thought his was off, left valve in washtub on, and had wonderful 3 weeks in alaska. had monumental water and sewer bill while away. the valve mus of not been all the way off, water ran while they were gone, and flooded their basement
the more important issues are keeping house looking lived in, stop mail pick up junk mail and trash in yard, cut grass move drapes.
check with your insurance company a vacant home attracts vandals. have a trusted neighbor walk thru and check on things, lights on timers, perhaps a radio on a timer.
bob haller wrote:

Trusted neighbor? What slice of the 1950s do you live in? Wonderful if you have them, I guess, but not really common these days, at least around here. I nod at my neighbors when I'm out doing yardwork, they nod at me, that is about the extent of it. I certainly wouldn't presume to ask any of them to enter my house in my absence, much less mow my yard or anything. Not even any teenage kids around here to hire for mowing, not that teenagers do that anymore anyway.
But yeah, otherwise what you said makes sense.
-- aem sends...

its best to be friends with your neighbors, have a block party, help if you see them doing a project, start a neighborhood block watch.
observant friendly neighbors can be very useful.
like the ones next to my dads who used my dads call list in emergency when water was running out my dads front door, the reverse osmosis water filter tank had ruptured,.