tubing cutter

Hi everyone. I am replacing a 3" piece of copper drain line in my home. Do they make a tubing cutter big enough to cut 3" copper? The biggest I have seen cuts 2 1/8" O.D. Worst case, will a hacksaw suffice if I debur the piece at the end? Thanks. Eric

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

Yes to both...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Hacksaw and emery cloth works for me.

I'm sure 3" tubing cutters exist... and I'm sure they aren't cheap.

Doug Miller

Hacksaw will work fine, but just go easy and let the saw do the work. If you lean in to it, you may put the pipe out of round. Copper is quite soft...

Reply to
Mark

Cu is very soft. Go rent a pipe cutter (biggest I have is 8" by Ridgid) if you start to bang around metal drains there is an excellent chance you'll cause leaks elsewhere.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

I have cut tons of copper with sawzall and never caused leaks elsewhere. (that I know of) I have never even heard of this happening I use a very fine toothed blade and of course you dont allow it to shake everything like crazy. I would not even try to use a hacksaw thats stupid! You need to do yourself a favor and not listen to those guys, they are not plumbers, obviously.

doug do yourself a favor and buy a file, you dont debur pipe with emery cloth.

You guys are full of shit

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in message news:4Tsie.2305$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Maybe if you'd try it once, you wouldn't say that... I've deburred pipe both ways after cutting with a hacksaw, and found that coarse emery cloth is faster than a file, and leaves a smoother surface. If a file works better for you, fine. But don't knock emery cloth until you've tried it a time or two.

Doug Miller

Try

for the tubing cutter. itemnumber=5983

Cost an entire 16.99, plus shipping and a handling charge.

Hacksaw oughta do it -- how are you reataching it. Sweat solder?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You'd be amazed the junk at HF.

Stormin Mormon

This is turtle.

Stormy wait for the sale and i got the #3 set for $9.95 on sale about a year ago.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE