tub leak

We had a leak from the 2nd floor tub/shower down through the ceiling whenever someone used the shower. It turned out to be the plate at the foot of the tub (on the tub wall) where the lever is to close the drain. I noticed that the spring that holds the ball of the lever up against the hole was loose and not functioning, so putting that spring back in place stoppered up the lever hole. But I always thought that that plate also functioned as overflow relief. Isnt all water that goes in there supposed to flow right to the drain? I'm wondering if I may have another problem hidden in there.
Adam Russell wrote:

There is a rubber gasket *behind* the tub, between the drain fitting (called waste and overflow assy) and the back of the tub. You can access the gasket from the tub side by removing the trip lever faceplate (2 screws usually).
http://www.plumbingworld.com/waste_and_overflows.html scroll down to Trip Lever Bath Waste
Jim