Tub installation question

Nobody answered my tub question so I thought I'd give a little more detail.

My contractor built the tub alcove at the wrong dimensions. All the plumbing and drywall is installed. The studs are a little over 62" apart, whereas the installation instructions (which they never opened) specified 60 and 1/4" inches between studs so that the drywall would overlap the lip of the tub. The cross section of the tub (Am. Std. Renaissance Whirlpool) looks approximately like this (not to scale):

When I notified him of the problem he simply tore out the drywall and nailed stringers to the studs, saying that the extra 2" won't be a problem. I am worried that water will accumulate around the edges (where the lip tapers down toward the wall) and cause leakage problems. This is a 3rd floor bath.

Is his solution acceptable or do I have to make him tear out existing plumbing and rebuild the wall to proper specifications?

Thanks, Marc S.

Reply to
Blume

No. Fur out the wall or walls to allow for the finish material to overhang the tub edge as required by the manufacturer. I other words to give you the 'recess' you mentioned. Maybe you can double sheetrock them before the substrate and tile go on.

Reply to
Ann G