Triple tap

I have one, it's made by Klein. I think.

(googles)

ah, yes, here you go. this is the one I have

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I used to have a tap, most call a triple tap. The one I had was actually 6 taps. It had a screwdriver handle and three taps on a shank that you could flip in the handle and had 3 more.

I have not been able to find this online. Anyone know who makes these?

-- O'Neil to General Hammond: For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

Reply to
Metspitzer

That is the one. Thanks

Reply to
Metspitzer

Those multi-taps are cool when you need to clean up the threads on some sort of panel cover or electrical box...

They aren't really meant to do much more threading than that...

Definitely much easier to carry one reversible tool in the tool bag when up in a bucket lift than it is to carry a tap set...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I've used mine for adding a ground screw to an old box that I don't feel like busting out of the wall and replacing... pre-grounded stuff era boxes don't usually have the tapped holes in the back for the ground screw

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yeah, that is what I used mine in the past for.

I need a tap now to clean some threads in a computer case. The holes for the motherboard stand offs are painted and hard to get it. In the past I have had the hold down come out when backing out the hold down screws. I don't want that to happen again.

I should have spent 20 more on the case so I don't have to spend 20 bucks on a tap, but I have missed mine. They do come in handy sometimes.

Reply to
Metspitzer

A great tool from a great company. Mine's about 17 years old, who knows how many times it's made my job easy.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Mine has cut new threads in fresh drilled holes countless times. Even cut the next size larger threads without a drill when working with pot metal many many many times. It's no tap and die set, but it's not advertised that way either.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

You would not want to try using it to thread metal thicker than

1/4"... Adding a 10-32 grounding screw to an electrical box is fine and is one of the intended purposes of a multi-tap tool...

But they are useless to tap blind holes in thicker materials...

You wouldn't be able to use such a multi-tap to thread a hole in something 1/2" because none of the sections of the tap sizes are that large and the shaft immediately tapers up in size after each threaded portion...

They are intended to be a convenience tool for tradesmen working high above or below the ground to quickly repair or re-size holes for fasteners on devices and equipment or the enclosures which contain said gizmos that they are servicing to commonly sized screws without having to carry a tap and die set in their tool bag...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan