Trex Gapping problems

I built a Trex deck about 4 years ago as did one ofg my friends who is a contractor. We now find that the boards have swelled such that the gap between them has narrowed excessively to the point where the gap has to be restored. First, I wish Trex had suggested in their instructions a larger gap but in any case, I think I'm going to try and make a jig with a 1/4" router bit riding on a router base modification made so the router will follow the groove between the boards. Then make another pass with a jig that rides in the 1/4" groove just cut for the rounding over part.

2 Questions....has anyone encountered this with trex and might there possibly be a bit out there that custs the slot and rounds over in one shot?

Incidentally, NOTHING takes to routing better than Trex!!

Ray

(to respond via email, take out "the garbage")

Reply to
Ray

Can't offer you any advice, but a friend had a similar problem but also his Trex developed a fungus/mold problem. Your idea makes sense, but have you tried contacting Trex customer assistance?

Reply to
Louis McEniry

____Reply Separator_____

Would this friend happen to have email so that he/her and I could compare notes on this? I believe this is what is happening to my Trex deck. Olympic Deck Cleaner and power washing will make it look better for a couple of days, but it quickly returns.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Maybe you could first do a slot with a saw and then rout with a v-tip or roundover bit you already have?

has some good bits for the money if you need a new one. Lower cost than big brands, similar quality. (I own 90% CMT router bits [around 30] and the rest are 90% Woodline.) You might especially look at their Plunging Roundover bit, WL-1053-P is the

1-3/16" cutting length one, page 6 in the catalog. It sounds like what you want. Their web site is crude but the bits and prices are pretty good. Fast shipping too. (No connection, I'm just a customer.)

Reply to
edfan