using trex as decking in treehouse?

Hi,

I'm building a kids' treehouse, mostly out of pressure-treated lumber (the "good old" arsenic-laced kind).

I'm thinking about making the treehouse floor out of Trex or something similar, since kids will be sitting, eating, etc., off the floor of the treehouse regularly, unlike the way that a deck is used. Also, this would avoid splinters.

The extra cost would be about $140, roughly doubling the treehouse's materials budget.

Does this sounds crazy/reasonable to you folks?

Also, since the treehouse is 7' square, I think that I will need to buy 16' lengths since Trex doesn't come in 8' lengths, and neither 12' nor 20' lengths are practical for this purpose.

Is Trex easy to cut with a circular saw? What about with a decent hand saw?

Any other suggestion for suitable materials which might be cheaper?

TIA,

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Epstein

Sounds reasonable. It is a bit more flexible than wood so take that into account when supporting it.

Cuts and works easily using common power tools. I didn't try a handsaw, but I think that it might take a bit more work than usual - I may be wrong about that though.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing with it as the flooring as it is splinter free. I'm also planning to avoid PT wood except perhaps for posts.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

It's also a whole lot heavier, so the OP needs to take the extra weight into account in his structural plans.

Reply to
Swingman

It is 49 square feet. So figure it weighs about 500 lbs vs maybe 200-250 for dry redwood. Not a huge deal for a small structure like this, but maybe so for a big deck.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

That depends on how big the tree is. :)

Reply to
Swingman

If it is a trex tree it should be accustomed to the weight.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

plywood. for a very strong floor, you can get Sturdifloor at HD. it's either 1 1/8 or 1 1/4" thick. way cheaper than Trex

dave

J> Hi,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Go for larch or eastern red cedar instead. They last longer untreated than the arsenical stuff does, even after treatment. The tanalised timber, certainly round here, is usually spruce, which nothing will make last well.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's about double the weight too. You might want to consider *that* for the use in a treehouse. IMO this would be overkill this purpose, compared with alternative materials available.

Reply to
Prosecutor

"JackD" wrote in :

I've statrted interplanting Trex in my Wicker forest, it is an excellent companion tree and provides needed habit for Naugas and Neets.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry McCaffrey

Thanks for all the responses, especially those pointing out the weight issue, which I think is not a problem in this case.

With regards to Sturdifloor, it seems that it's not suitable for exterior use such as a treehouse ... or am I missing something? Won't it rot within two or three years?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Epstein

I put it in more than 5 years ago in a shed. The shed is built pretty much like a house and it doesn't get water inside. I sealed the Sturdifloor with wood preservative and it's holding up fine. Is the inside of the treehouse NOT going to be protected from rain?

dave

J> Thanks for all the responses, especially those pointing out the weight

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

It might not rot in a mere two years, but over time it will buckle and do what plywood does when it gets wet. You could of course paint it...

-Jack

Reply to
JackD