Trellis / lattice not anchored in the ground?

Hello experts! I want to build a simple shade structure over my back patio to keep the summer sun off us as we sit outside - I've found a bunch of possible plans, but most of them call for sinking all of the support beams into the ground - my privacy fence is right on the property line, and the concrete patio goes right up to the fence - I don't want to have to punch holes in the concrete - is it OK to have two of the support pieces resting on the concrete, with only the two on the other side of the patio sunk into the ground? Thanks.
Texas Yankee wrote:

Absolutely! I would anchor the posts to the concrete with a suitable expansion type bolt and suitable base to avoid uplift forces.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.