Tree stump stuck.

Page 2 of 3
I sort of went through this with a neighboring home sale once, purchaser making stipulations on the purchase offer.
if a neighbor points out your tree is in poor health and a hazard to his property and it then damages them or their property they can make you pay - however, if this tree is a healthy tree that's been existing for some time the neighbor is responsible for trimming to keep it away from his roof ... not sure about the roots, but would think he would be responsible for his old sewer line that probably needs replaced with PVC anyhow.
wrote

The neighbors sewer is old that is their problem. Your tree did not cause it. A good pipe a tree will not damage. You should not have cut it for that. Your neighbor could have just trimmed it off his house at his expense. The cutting also should have been the neighbors expense. If the tree was healthy your responsibility ends. If it was dead then yes you are responsible. Next time dont be so nice.Make him pay for the stump removal, he had no right to complain.
wrote

BTW, that's a small stump. You should have seen the one I had in my yard. Two men could not even reach around the circumference of the tree stump. It probably weighed as much as a truck or large car. Professionals came and ground the stump. When standing, the tree was about 3 to 4 stories tall. Marina
wrote

Normally the neighbor is within his rights to cut back branches that overhang his property. I'm not too sure what happens if he claims the roots are doing damage and if you have to take care of it. How about somebody from your town hall giving you an explanation? It's hard to say anyway. Your neighbor could be a complaining kind of person and the tree isn't doing any damage.
Seems as though Google has lots of advice: http://www.google.com/search?q=tree+roots+cause+damage+to+neighbor
Marina
wrote

a lawyer could
as to the issues, seems "neighbor law" applies, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction
the root invasion, if a reality, could have been repaired and the invading roots stopped with bio barrier http://www.biobarrier.com /
branch invasion is generally the responsibility of the owner of the property being invaded, but i don't hink it lends itself to open and notorious use" such that the tree owner could gain ownership of the "airspace" over the invaded property
the 1/3 or so size tree/hole in the pic you reference looks like it was at the corner of a house, feet away from the foundation, not a good location for a tree, if your tree was that near your house foundation, good idea it was removed
I would go to an equipment rental place and rent a stump grinder or a mini-excavator.

Leroy Mowry wrote:

http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm
Leroy Mowry wrote:

All the replies, but didn't anyone think this part was a little odd?
Leroy Mowry wrote:

Don't y'all just miss dynamite like crazy? :)
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
dadiOH wrote:

You beat me too it. I still fondly remember watching a stump arching right over the roof of my parents summer home in Woiodside, California circa 1943. That was sure the easy way to get them out, providing the trajectory cooperated.
Happy Holidays guys,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Even assuming you've chopped the side / tap roots, that bad boy weighs well over half a ton. You're either going to have to take it out in chunks, or find someone with a flatbed and a lift (like you'd use for hauling big landscaping rocks).
"Leroy Mowry" wrote

A long chain hooked to your neighbors car.

Aren't those the same instructions for how to remove the bumper off your neighbor's car?

Exactly, especially since it's the neighbor that wants the stump removed. :o)

Anyone recall that video on the net about a year ago where some teenagers were trying to get a car unstuck out of some snow, and pulled their bumper off?
Steve

I heard a similar dumb-criminal story where the idiots tried to pull yank out an ATM and ended up leaving behind their bumper...
license plate and all.

Why don't you fill the dirt back in around it and just grind it?
JennP.
JennP.
JennP wrote:

stump up an inch or so and then stuff more rocks in. It takes awhile but I have moved rocks 2' in diameter up and out of a hole.
Leroy Mowry wrote:

charcoal lighter, kero or mineral spirits onto it, getting some hot dogs and marshmallows for the kids to roast and burning it out?
Maybe a little dry scrap wood around it could help with the combustion
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
metal tripod $200
pulleys, chains, & ropes $150
camcorder to record entire setup collapsing $200
knowing others who would suggest such a thing PRICELESS
the idea of cutting it into smaller pieces sounds like a winner, rent a mo powerfuller chainsaw to do it quicker, unless you can swing getting a stump grinder