Tree stump stuck.

"Leroy Mowry" wrote

A long chain hooked to your neighbors car.

Reply to
Just Dad

You beat me too it. I still fondly remember watching a stump arching right over the roof of my parents summer home in Woiodside, California circa 1943. That was sure the easy way to get them out, providing the trajectory cooperated.

Happy Holidays guys,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Aren't those the same instructions for how to remove the bumper off your neighbor's car?

Reply to
TCS

Why don't you fill the dirt back in around it and just grind it?

JennP.

JennP.

Reply to
JennP

Exactly, especially since it's the neighbor that wants the stump removed. :o)

Reply to
Just Dad

Start stacking rocks under the stump. Use a heavy prybar to lift the stump up an inch or so and then stuff more rocks in. It takes awhile but I have moved rocks 2' in diameter up and out of a hole.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

A victim can't sign away his/her relatives' right to sue you. S/he can only sign away his or her right to sue you. This is one of the problems with releases...

You ask, if the victim signed a release, why can his kids/wife sue? Because they lost the utility of having the poor SOB around (lost wages, etc.).

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

As long as you've got a lot of it exposed, how about pouring some charcoal lighter, kero or mineral spirits onto it, getting some hot dogs and marshmallows for the kids to roast and burning it out?

Maybe a little dry scrap wood around it could help with the combustion

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"TCS" wrote

Anyone recall that video on the net about a year ago where some teenagers were trying to get a car unstuck out of some snow, and pulled their bumper off?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

jesus. its christmans. go find something else to do besides dog me with you hypothetical legal mumbo jumbo. go watch some more tv and scare yourself into a frenzy so you're afraid to do anything for fear of lawsuit.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

metal tripod $200

pulleys, chains, & ropes $150

camcorder to record entire setup collapsing $200

knowing others who would suggest such a thing PRICELESS

the idea of cutting it into smaller pieces sounds like a winner, rent a mo powerfuller chainsaw to do it quicker, unless you can swing getting a stump grinder

Reply to
effi

According to effi :

Three 8' 4x4s, a long 3/4" bolt, and a "come-along" - modern implementation of what farmers have been doing for 100s of years. About $50 total.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I heard a similar dumb-criminal story where the idiots tried to pull yank out an ATM and ended up leaving behind their bumper...

license plate and all.

Reply to
TCS

3 cubic foot would be easy but I assume you mean 3 cubic yard - that's another story. I've removed many stumps but none close to 3 cy. That would be about 4,000 lbs including the dirt stuck to the root ball and getting this sucker out of the hole would be a major bitch. I've broken a 3 ton and a 4 ton come along, broken a 2 ton engine hoist and worn out a few chains and a new chainsaw on a much smaller stump. I ended up digging down to form a ram, using steel plates as skits and with a come along pulling it out. Good luck.
Reply to
Frank

"v" wrote

Thanks all for the intelligent, proven ideas. The neighbor complains that the roots are damaging their plumbing and that the branches scraping their bedroom roof are just too dangerous. I just got a call from the city saying that they'll take the stump for free if it's pushed to the curbside. I will inspect for the fibrous root underneath again, which we suspect are gone since we rock the stump from side to side (2'). But first we'll move the stump upward a inches or so to get a good view down there. I apologize for the size, as a few posters notice. It's actually nearly 3 ft cubed (27 cu ft) but not 3 cu ft. Thankfully, another poster (Mark) posted photographs identical to my problem. The same driveway, location, fences, dirt, and tools. The only difference is that the stump and dug hole are almost about "two or three times" as great compared to these pictures.

I assume a neighbor may complain if the tree is within a certain distance from their property. Or if the roots of a line tree or neighboring tree cause problems, an owner can abate the nuisance. Civil Code Section 3502. Can anyone advise if I'm interpreting the law correctly? Thanks.

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

I sort of went through this with a neighboring home sale once, purchaser making stipulations on the purchase offer.

if a neighbor points out your tree is in poor health and a hazard to his property and it then damages them or their property they can make you pay - however, if this tree is a healthy tree that's been existing for some time the neighbor is responsible for trimming to keep it away from his roof ... not sure about the roots, but would think he would be responsible for his old sewer line that probably needs replaced with PVC anyhow.

Reply to
bumtracks

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in news:Nzbyd.1728$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Didn't you write about this stump some time ago? BTW, that's a small stump. You should have seen the one I had in my yard. Two men could not even reach around the circumference of the tree stump. It probably weighed as much as a truck or large car. Professionals came and ground the stump. When standing, the tree was about 3 to 4 stories tall. Marina

Reply to
Marina

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in news:Nzbyd.1728$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Re-read and see that you're showing the pics to compare. Normally the neighbor is within his rights to cut back branches that overhang his property. I'm not too sure what happens if he claims the roots are doing damage and if you have to take care of it. How about somebody from your town hall giving you an explanation? It's hard to say anyway. Your neighbor could be a complaining kind of person and the tree isn't doing any damage.

Seems as though Google has lots of advice:

Marina

Reply to
Marina

If you want to do it the half assed way....

Either make a good old fashion cocktail of napolm (spelling is probabbly off) or just use explosives.

Its ALWAYS more entertaining watching it either blow up or burn down...

Just remember to drill a hole first in the center, place the charge and scream...

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Tom

JerryMouse wrote:

Reply to
Sexytom976

Just use an ax.

It may take a couple of hours a day for a couple of weeks, but it is cheap and it makes you strong.

PJ

Reply to
PJX