Tree Advice

Page 2 of 2

"Kurt Petro" wrote

Yup. Lovely thing. Come spring, people would stop cars just to glance at it as they drove by.

Humm! Another to check and thanks!

Not a good deal here. Silver maple are a good bit of the saplings we find weeding out of our container garden and other spots. Cedar too. Found 3 cedars in the lettuce container garden box. Oh, if I want a dogwood, I just have to plant it partly under the oak tree.

This or tandem apples is where we seem to be centering.

Too much sun for the dogwood? Out in nature in Virginia, they grow wild all over, but always under the canopy of a larger hardwood.

Issues were suckers I gather?

Snicker, seedling maples, oaks, cedar and hawthorn I can snag from my own yard. In fact, I'll probably have to weed them away from the open dirt where the flowering (Bradford) pear was come spring.
-snip-

My mind caught up a bit and I remembered it was the highway between Yorktown and Newport News [not Norfolk] that had all the Dogwoods I remember from 1971. They were growing in the median with no shade. Check for different varieties- apparently they don't all need shade.
Jim [I googled for the highway- it was 17, not 70]

    Remember that apple trees have apples. If you are going to harvest them (after doing a little spraying during the season) you have a double good tree. However remember that harvest or not, there will be apples to pick up that were bad or just did not get harvested. I have not experienced it, but I have heard that apples tend to be weak trees and may drop limbs, especially if they are not trimmed.
"cshenk" wrote:

Grin, with as many squirrels as we have here, I will probably never see a ripe apple ;-) I can hope though!

Yes, saw that one. But at the size of them, this isn't that much of an issue. Not like the 100ft tall oaks and such all around me! It's even worse on the next block. Basically if you were to 'Google earth' of my area, you see trees and the occasional roof. Mine is one of the roofs you can see, partly occluded by neighbor trees.
We are also looking at redfern. Might be just right!
cshenk wrote:

Do those little emigrant bastards eat apples as well? I'm sending them back on the first ship to Boston. :)