too much toilet siphon

I have a strange problem that has just started on one of my toilets. It is located on the first floor of my house has it's own stand pipe. When the toilet is flushed, the siphon action is too strong. At the end of the flush, there is next to no water left in the trap in the bowl. This is soon followed by some air gurgling back into the bowl.
I've checked the access panel of the stand pipe and water is draining down it. It does not appear to be any faster than usual.
I don't think it is a blockage and there are no apparent water leaks.
My downstairs toilet is fine, but it uses it's own stand pipe. The drainage for the sink and bath end up in the same stand pipe as the "faulty" toilet and they are draining just as quickly as always.
Could this be an air leak in the pan connector?
Any help is appreciated.
~S~
snipped-for-privacy@saic.com wrote:

I should mention that this is a washdown WC.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@saic.com wrote:

Not an air leak, but rather a venting problem (IMHO).
It may not be a complete blockage of the vent (to roof); it could be a partial blockage where the closet bend enters the San TEE.
Washdown closet bowl depends upon siphon action to pull waste out of bowl, but the siphon *must* be broken near end of the flush so as not to empty the bowl trap completely.
As a first step, maybe try a closet auger to get any blockage out of the closet bend. After that, run water down the roof vent terminal or drop a snake down. If you run water into it, have someone standby inside the house to watch for any water overflow from fixtures.
Jim

<snip>
I think I have that type of problem in my bathroom, though not to that extent (water level in the toilet drops, sometimes, not always; sometimes a very strong flush with a choking sound following).
I can't do roof work myself. Is this kind of thing a routine job for a plumber? Or is it expensive?
TIA.

I'd guess that the vent is blocked.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@saic.com wrote:

While a blocked vent is a possibility, make sure the refill function is working. That is the small hose that goes into the top of the overflow pipe in the tank. It should be freely flowing from the time the flapper closes until the tank is full and the water is turned off.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit