Toilet supply line ruptured

I replaced the old one with stainless braid. The old one was exactly that OLD. It could have been there 18 years! We've only had the house since nov

05

SD

Reply to
S H O P D O G

Glad you clarified that. Sorry for your problem.

Reply to
Toller

Oh yeah,the floors a goner! where the tiles meet they are trying to stand up. One just broke, so I removed it and it looks like the mastic has seperated from the tiles. If anythng comes out of this we were going to replace that floor in the future anyway. But I would have rather not gone about it this way! Most of the first floor is dry and the basement is almost dry.

Now, I'm concerned about all this old timber. Now that it has gotten completely saturated, will there be any issues with mold. The house is about

70 years old.

sd

Reply to
S H O P D O G

Right. The wood swelled. As it dries, it will shrink back to its original size.

Because it popped loose, you may have to re-glue some (all) of the tiles, but the floor is NOT a goner.

Probably not. A one-time wetting isn't usually enough for mold.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not so unusual, it happened to me as well. I came home to the sound of water running from upstairs, found out it was the plastic nut on the toilet end of the water feed line that fractured. I guess the plastic crosslinks and becomes brittle over time, and the stress on its threads eventually becomes too much for the brittle plastic to bear. Fortunately for me, the water ran across the bathroom floor, into the floor vent, down the ducts into the basement, where the ductwork turned 90 degrees, but the water ran out of a convenient hole in the bottom of the duct, right into a floor drain :)

-Chris

Reply to
Christopher Cole

it was designed to do that. was the architect rube & goldberg?

Reply to
charlie

Damn, Talk about luck! Our bathroom floor is somewhat canted toward the tub from the toilet. When the plastic nut came loose the water shot up toward the tank and of course ran down across the floor to tub ran along the tub and right under the only 4" piece of sheetrock , under and through that down to the cavity that the tub sits in. By luck there is a notch in a beam the water ran down the notch and welled up in the ceiling of the kitchen. I assume that the water also ran along the electric wire and into the ceiling fan, which caused the fan motor to short out. Waiting for ins adjuster to come out on Wed. What should I expect? We've never made a claim before and my policy is written in lawyerese. It says that I am covered which I should be. I am covered at 100%. Will they make me hire someone, will they only pay me for materials if I choose to do the repair myself.

I know I will be able to ask these questions of the adjuster, but any prior insight may be to my benefit as to what to say and ask or what not to say or ask.

SD

Reply to
S H O P D O G

I used to do insurance repairs exclusively. The top three causes of flooding in a home were: toilet supply lines, icemaker lines, washing machine hoses.

They are not even thought about much and no one regularly examines them to see how they are doing. You never move them except in special circumstances, so they sit back there, forgotten, until they fail.

I check mine often, and I use the best lines that I can get. That is copper for icemaker, and stainless steel braided hose for supplies and washing machine hoses.

I have never seen one break, but I have seen the results of many of them breaking.

Reply to
Robert Allison

My just open up, the supply line cracked, and I was the one who caused the problem. I am a recent amputee and when I use the toilet allot of the times I have to use my knee to balance my self to complete the job at hand.

So I do move the toilet every once in a while. :-(

I replaced the ridged pipe with a braided flexible supply line.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Just happened to me. It burst. I saw on Youtube they're only good for 10 years.

Reply to
Jake

I had a chrome-plated copper supply line rumpture, to my powder room toilet. Luckily I was only out for about 90 minutes.

The vinyl tile (not self-stick, from the builder) in the powder room and hall came unstuck, but I put back in place any squares that I moved, and was careful not to move anymore, and after a few days they were stuck to the floor again, and they looked fine. This was 20 years ago so it really did work.

Things in the basement got wet but there have been so many leaks in the basement I can't keep track of which one did what.

Reply to
micky