Toilet Repair Trivai Question

Hello

On several occassions over the years I've had done toilet repair jobs which involved replacing the bolts/washers that hold the tank to the bowl. When I purchased the replacement bolts, they come with two metal washers and two rubber washers. The instructions say to place the bolts, followed by a metal washer and then a rubber washer, inside the tank. The first time I saw this, I thought it was odd that you would put a metal washer inside the tank. I mean, common sense would dictate that neither the washer nor the head of the bolt are machined so perfectly as to provide a water tight seal between them. Reversing the order would do no good because certainly the metal washer won't seal good against the ceramic tank bottom either.

Reply to
michael beckwith

Sorry, sent that before I was done!!

So, I went ahead and followed the directions and, sure enough, not matter how I tightened the bolts I couldn't get water to stop seeping from around them. I tried everything from barely snug all the way to as tight as I could get them without cracking the porcelain.

Plus, I looked at the original bolts from the toilet, and there was no metal washer inside the tank, just the rubber one.

Every such repair I have ever done has leaked when done according to the instructions, but as soon as I take those metal washers out from inside the tank and just use the rubber ones.... bone dry every time.

So, am I just an idiot who is not following the directions properly, or is their some mysterious reason why they tell you to put metal washers inside the tank?? (be nice)

Reply to
michael beckwith

metal washer and then a rubber washer, inside the tank. >>

____Reply Separator_____ If you take the bolt, put a metal washer on it, then a rubber washer on it, and push it down through the hole in the tank, through the base and then put a rubber washer on it then a metal washer, then the nut, you will have a rubber washer in the tank against the porcelain.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

I second the motion. Clear and concise.

Martin

Reply to
Martin & Karen

You may be overtighenting it. I always do it per directions and it works fine.

washers and

first time I

certainly the

either.

Reply to
Art Begun

Correct, that's what I've always done and it always leaks until I take the metal washer out of the equation inside the tank. I think it leaks between the underside of the head of the bolt and the metal washer.

I guess it's possible I'm tightening too much and 'bending' the washer out of flat.

Oh well.. maybe it's just me.

Reply to
michael beckwith

Actually, using just the bolt with one of the rubber washers will work fine. The bolt is more than likely brass and will take some time to corrode. After the bolt and rubber washer (under the tank), put another rubber washer and the hex bolt that came with the set. Dont tighten too much as it will break the porcelain. You should now have only a couple of washers and a couple of wing nuts. Use these to attach the tank to the bowl. A new "spud" gasket is a good idea while you have it apart. This is the foam like gasket between the tank and the bowl.

Reply to
AMEADOR