Toilet problem

I'm a pretty good home plumber but I'm not sure what's happening here.

Wife's bathroom, (I'm not allowed in there) :-))) This just started recently she says.

You flush and it burps. Sort of like it pops some water up instead of flowing around the and then down.

And...water slowly lessens in the bowl over a few hours. Underneath in the basement, no leaks.

It flushes well, just that sort of burp/pop when the water is released into the bowl from the tank.

It has a clean, no bends vent to the roof.

Now we have had some very hot weather and ac been running, but don't think that could evaporate much water from bowl...especially as much as it gets used.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
FireBrick

Yes. Don't go in there. Her bathroom, her problem. Tell her to let you know when the problem is solved.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I suspect she lost something down the toilet that is stuck right around the vent outlet in the drain line. Take away her Macy's (formerly Fields) credit card and don't give it back until she tells the truth. Of course, other weird things can make vents behave in bizarre fashion. Or even toilets. As easy as it is to pull the stool, you might want to start your research there. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I was thinking the same thing but what could get stuck and cause the bowl to siphon off?

Reply to
Meat Plow

It could be as simple as a Q-tip wedged in the trap that grabs some paper and is blocked just enough to cause a problem.

1) NO Charmin 2) Plunger 3) Make sure flapper in tank is opening fully 4) Toilet auger (must have for anyone with kids) 5) Check flow of 'jet' at bottom of bowl and under rim 6) Pull toilet or call plumber
Reply to
RayV

Well my wife is the cheapest, most thrifty, person in the world. And she's NEVER been inside Fields, now Macy's in her life. Except to buy Frango's. lol

But she is the most meticulous bathroom person and NEVER even buys the cheap paper, but only the most dissolvable type. But we do have 18 grandchildren, so who knows what happened on one of their visits.

I did a couple minutes of 'Iron Man plunging' and wife now reports that 'burping' has stopped.

As for the siphoning, it could have just been a 'perceived' lowering of water level or also the evaporation due to AC running..

But thanks for suggestions, but having had 8 children, all bowls were on 'quick disconnects' for ease of toy removal.

Reply to
FireBrick

Glad you got some resolution. As far as the water in the bowl evaporating that's not going to happen with normal use no matter what the ambient conditions in the house are as long as they are livable. I have seen my bowl fluctuate up and down during windy conditions and even explode once when the city ran their jet truck's nozzle past my lateral as they do occasionally. Luckily the lid was down or there would have been a lot of bowl water sprayed and the city would have been here with a mop and bucket :)

Reply to
Meat Plow