Toilet Handle Location - New Home

Page 2 of 2

Ok Ive reveiwed your dillema.. find short piece of shingle or a door frame wedge, then using a high quality duct tape.......

WOW...........great mind DO think alike, huh?
JTMcC.
Or, carry a billy club in your back pocket around the house. You'll be amazed at the number of things you will use it for <g>.

I think the shingles and duct tape will not blend with the ambience that these folks are trying to create in their new home.
At the very least, I would think a short piece of aluminum strap and some 1/4_20 nuts and bolts would be required.

(remove NS to use the address) 614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax
http://worthingtonengineering.com

Just be thankful, Me . . .
. . . that you don't have a pull knob centered side-to-side and front-to-back on the lid of your toilet tank. That would really throw you. Especially, if you try to reach it while remaining seated, and don't really know where it is.
The top-mounted pull best serves those European johns that you have to stand up and swab the bowl with those little mops they supply. It is easy to reach the knob and pull it up repeatedly. Doesn't matter if you are right or left handed, as it plays no favorites, being in the center. Just don't tell the PC squad, or they will federally mandate it just to not show favoritism.
Equally difficult to fathom is the push button on the upper-end toilets of circa 60's vintage. They are on the side, about half way back. Try reaching back on your own toilet, pretend there is a dime size button sticking out about 7/16" and requiring at least 7.2 lbs. of thrust at right angles to and pointed directly at your spine. I'll take that pull knob at the top over that side button any time.
None of the handles, buttons, knobs, etc., are as user friendly and as intuitive as the old pull chain with the nice big porcelain handle. I used one of those one time and never forgot. Only thing more convenient is the little house at the end of the path that had no such contrivance at all.
Jim

well yes...but if you left the seat up on one of those, and the wife had an errrr. problem you were in real big trouble.

- Nehmo - If this were a problem in my house, we would just clamp on a miniature set of alligator-mouth (flat) vice grips. If that's too heavy and causes the lever to stay in the down position, then also clamp in a counterweight, like a butter knife, with the handle of the butter knife going to the right (over the pivot of the lever).
If I were correcting this "problem" for a customer, I would buy and install a longer flush handle. Home Depot might not have a large enough selection.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=toilet+flush+levers
Where are you located, OP? Maybe I could direct you to a store.
Actually, many older or fancier flush handles are composed of two parts, one of which is the outside leaver. You could buy the two-part kind and custom make your outside lever.
- Me or Blake -

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Blackbeard wrote:

Um, I think it is called sarcasm. Should be in your dictionary...
Matt

The shingle and duct tape and the vice grip ideas, though quite functional and efficient, leave something to be desired in the aesthetics department. Norm would probably make something nice in oak and hold it on with a little glue and now a few brads.

DanG wrote:

But you can get duct tape in a wide range of colors now...
Matt
Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

No Real Man would use ANYTHING but the original gray. Feh! ;-)
Bill Seurer wrote:

But you have to keep the lady of the house happy, or it won't matter if you are a real man! :-)
Matt
Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

I don't think the color of your duct tape is going to help with that...
Just put the lid down to flush! It belongs down anyway.

JUst keep giggling the handle, it'll stop
HAHAH
Jane

"Jane" <

Dames...geez
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:33:51 GMT, someone wrote:

He was obviously JOKING, he said the real solution would be to put a longer handle on it.
-v.