Toilet Flushing Mystery

Page 3 of 3

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 11:42:43 -0700, Bob Villa wrote:

Roger that. Both squish the waste and water column in the siphon S together so there is no space between them making the siphon action as best it can be. Gee we all learnt how a toilet werks! A siphon-less toilet requires only the bowl fill aggressively to flush. This can get a little messy if you know what I mean. I had the chance while in Europe to use an old style Water Closet commode. The one with the tank high on the wall. Talk about needing to wipe your ass after you flushed it if you didn't flush standing up. I was warned forehand luckily.

When I was very young I remember an apartment I visited had the tank high on the bathroom wall with a pull-chain. I don't recall it flushing any different though.

There is a small hole (jet) before the bend (in the front or bottom of the toilet) that can build-up with hard water deposits. Clean this with a wire.

The symptom of a restricted siphon jet is: the bowl fills with excess water and doesn't remove waste. It is easier to clean the jet than pull the toilet just to see if that is the problem.

Had the same problem here. The Mrs kept using the blue tabs in the tank in the upstairs bath because she liked the color. I didn't use them in the basement bath. After trying pretty much everything else, I flushed out the tank with hot water to get rid of any blue gunk and kept flushing the hot water to clear out the passages. That did the trick.