Toilet flapper too buoyant?

I bought a $4 Wal-Mart toilet flush valve assembly, imported by "Waxman" from China. The installation went OK, except that the tank-to-bowl gasket was 3/4" taller than the old one, requiring shims. It's a Lamosa Sahara toilet from the early 70s. I'm assuming that has nothing to do with the following.
The problem is that the flapper won't quite close at all the way without a small push or weight. It uses a trapped air bubble to stay open until the tank is cleared, but it seems too light to overcome the lift when it gets horizontal near the bottom.
I want to know if anyone has tried drilling small holes on top to allow air to escape from the "dome" of the flapper? It's a fine balance down there. I am now using a brass nut as a weight but I'd like a cleaner method.
N.P.
They make weighted flappers. HD probably has something like this.
http://www.hardwareworld.com/Water-Saver-Flapper-pRNHCER.aspx
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Buy a good one from fluidmaster as they usauly work well and are set up to work on most toilets Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer wrote:

On 15 Aug 2006 02:09:20 +0200, Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer

I'd stay with the brass nut. I can't think of examples but I've gone years or decades with no problems with IMDs, improvised mechanical devices.