Toilet flap drops too soon

The flap at the bottom of the tank drops before the tank empties completely. Is the some sort of adjustment that controls how fast the flap closes?
Mark Savoy wrote:

Could be water logged or the wrong size. It's saving you water so if you only need the extra flush power once in a while, hold the handle down. Otherwise try replacing it.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
Mark Savoy wrote:

flappers always float all the way up.

I have found that, if the chain doesn't lift the flapper high enough to begin with, it doesn't seem to "float" the way it is supposed to and it drops prematurely. There seems to be some "threshold" point that it must be lifted past before it will work properly. So, sometimes, if the chain is too long, depressing the lever to lift the flapper only lifts it a certain amount before the lever itself hits the top of the toilet tank. Then, the flapper doesn't seem to work right, and the flush is not complete. In those cases, I shorten the chain a little , the flap lifts completely before the lever bar hits the top of the tank, and the toilet flushes completely before the flapper drops and closes. I sometimes test this theory by taking the lid off and only letting the flush lever lift the flapper part way, and then the flush is incomplete. Lift it all the way, and everything works correctly. In those situations, I shorten the chain a little to make it work correctly.
Steve Barker wrote:

If the chain doesn't lift the flapper high enough, the out-rushing water will suck it down too soon. Shortening the chain will correct that. Holding the flush lever down longer will verify this.
RonABC wrote:

Yes it is easy to replace but chain has to be adjusted properly. Sounds like chain has too much slack not lifting it fully.
but does the toilet flush? That is all that matters. different flappers will react differently. but none that i know of will empty the tank.

Mark Savoy wrote:

Is this by chance a low-profile toilet? I was so frustrated with all the idiosyncracies of mine I replaced it with a $25 Kohler from the local Habitat for Humanity store and can't be happier.

I've never ssen a toilet that emptied completely. It just isn't a requirement of the design. Newer toilets often empty only part way by design, unless you hold the handle down for a bigger flush. I think they use an additional float, and a heavier flapper to get that operation.

The flapper has to open high enough to fill the cavity inside the flapper with air, that holds it up longer.

The flapper has to open high enough to fill the cavity inside the flapper with air, that holds it up longer.
I believe it starts with the air already there. Holding it up higher will just fill it with water. (Which, I suppose, could cause the OP's problem)
Answer is "yes". Look for a hole in the air-holding bulb at the base of the flapper. Some have it so that it can be turned as much as 90 degrees for maximum flush duration. Other people that want to save themselves from having the toilet send most of its water out just to flush some urine away can drill a hole at the high side, and simply hold the flush handle down longer for a more complete flush when the load is brown.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:19:08 -0600, Mark Savoy

    It is not suppose to empty the tank. It is designed to provide enough water to flush properly under normal conditions. For heavy duty flush when needed, hold the handle down. It is designed that way to save water when it is not needed.
Mark Savoy wrote:

I checked the chain and there is no extra slack. I watched the problem toilet and another toilet that is working fine. The problem toilet's flap doesn't float at all, it seals off immediately. I looks as though the flap is the culprit. Thanks for all the advise.