toilet flange and raising the floor

I am in the process of renovating a bathroom. After removing the toilet I saw that the metal flange ring was completely rotted away. I removed the metal flange as it was obvious that it could not be used. I am laying a floor over the existing concrete slab that will raise the floor level about 1 inch. Pictures of my situation can be found at (it is 4x3 ABS):

Questions:

  1. Do I put the new (wood) floor up to the waste pipe and attach a new flange to the top of the new floor? Any tips on this?

  1. If I should not do this and need to put a new flange flush with the slab I will need to stack wax rings? One with flange, one without?

  2. I've installed toilets on existing flanges in good condition but have not ever replaced a flange. Am I in over my head? If not, again tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance Larry

Reply to
Larry Asher

Ugh! Nasty job. You need to raise the flange up to the new floor height (flange can sit on top of the floor). Short of chopping out the concrete floor and removing the existing flange (difficult), there is an ABS flange which fits *inside* 3" ABS pipe. Looks like that might work in your situation without distrubing the old flange.

down to: "ABS toilet flange that fits inside 3" pipe" You would have to check the reach to see if it will work.

These "inside" flanges have a small throat diam; I wouldn't use it with an old hi-volume toilet.

--------------------------- You might be able to separate the old flange from the pipe by sawing vertically (Sawzall) in a number of places to allow you to break the pieces off the pipe with a chisel. Then glue on a long-reach std 4X3 ABS flange.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

if you can chip away the cement on the area of the flange and the pipe and get the old flange out of the way then go to home depot.. i saw they have a metal flange that you put over the pipe and then bolt the flange to make it tighter to the pipe.... go there and take a look at what they have for sale there note the size of your drain pipe before going there so you can look at the new one to see if they match up.. from what i can see at the one at the store it appears that you have a 2 inch difference: if your pipe goes all the way to the top of the slab it seems like you can remove the old flange and put the new one on and then just push your new flange down one inch and bolt it in place and the fill up around it with the new flooring that you plan on using ..... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Thanks for your replies (Jim & "Speedy Jim"), they were very helpful...

Larry Asher wrote:

Reply to
Larry Asher