toe kick idea

Since I have little real world remodeling experience I like to run my "concepts" by someone else!
The kitchen (1929 house, not level floor) is getting redone with euro style cabinets I'll be making, those will just be simple boxes. Here is what I was thinking of for the toe kick.
The toe kick will be a 3/4" plywood (perhaps OSB since it's flat and I have it, but I have some mixed grade 3/4" regular plywood) platform with some screw legs (perhaps from IKEA) to level it. I'll have some furring strips attached to the edge. I can then take the material (probably fir 1 x 4 or 1/2" plywood) I'll use for the face of the toe kick and set it on the floor and scribe a line to cut off the top.
Does this sound reasonable? Not all my ideas are!
Jeff

my

euro

That works very well. I did that in my kitchen. I built an L shaped platform where the cabinets would stand, just as you suggest, then installed the cabinets on the level platform. The height under my platform varies from zero at the far ends to over an inch in the center due to a sagging floor. It's been fine for 12 years.
--
DT

On 9/6/2010 10:17 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Are you hard-fastening the cabinets, or doing them truly euro-style as removable furniture? A plywood base on adjustable legs saves a lot of shimming, and the toe-kick can be fastened Ikea-style with clips. For that matter, you can fasten it with magnets or velcro. Makes getting smelly mouse corpses out from underneath much easier. Duct tape over the nose, flashlight and shop vac.
--
aem sends...

On 9/6/2010 12:06 PM, aemeijers wrote:

OSB OK? I Have a limited supply of 3/4" plywood and it's hard to get good plywood.
They won't be moving once I put them in, but they will be stand alones. There will be a granite tile (18" squares) counter top (at ~ $2/SF) and the backsplash will be attached to the wall and siliconed on top of the counter.
My idea here is to have no spaces for stuff to fall through, unlike what I had! It was like an archeological dig removing the old.
I went to IKEA Monday and it was packed with babies and young women spending huge money on nesting.
What I got were the big plastic screw feet (Akurum). They had, by far, the largest adjustment range (over an inch).
Didn't see how they attached the kick, but not for not trying!
Any ideas on garbage? Was looking for a slide out can with a standard size liner.
Thanks, Jeff
For

I certainly wouldn't use OSB. If you have to go cheap use MDF.

Amazing place. They have good deals on butcher block but I don't think there anything else in the whole place I'd buy. Well, lunch was OK, for what it was.

You might browsing a few woodworking web sites for hardware.

I found them at Lowes. Again, woodworking places often have this sort of thing.

Not sure what you mean by "slide-out". When I remodeled kitchen umpty years ago, my garbage goes into a pull-out (slide-out?) drawer designed to be the just the size of an ordinary rectangular plastic bin. Line it with doubled bags (paper inside of plastic). Lift out to take garbage into alley can. In use ever since.

HP
On Sep 11, 8:47am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Thanks. My golden oldie looks just like that, only sized for single plastic cans.