to all you chubby guys out there

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:29:38 -0500, micky wrote in

The quacks are interested in selling you drugs and/or medical services first. A cure is second; and a cure that doesn't bring them any $$ (e.g. losing weight, wise nutrition) is a very distant third.

Reply to
CRNG

Nope.

But I don't attribute the lack of back pain to weight loss. More it was the hard work. Basically I spent about 30 days doing heavy labor, operating a jack hammer, carting off chunks of cement, digging the patio down another 6 inches, and moving

23,000 pounds of rocks and sand.

Yes, I'm just about 30 pounds lighter. I've gained a bit of muscle too. By the weight charts, I should still loose weight, but my doctor told me recently that he saw no reason for me to loose any more weight.

Fencing is a good one. I put in 230 feet of hand built fence (using deck boards) a few years after the deck. Felt great afterwards.

Sounds good. I'm the take it home guy at restaurants. I see people finish meals when eating out and have no idea how they do it.

Thanks.

I think doctors hesitate to bring up weight. They don't want to hurt the patients feelings, and it's so hard to get people to actually change.

I find that after I've taken a few bites at a meal I'm not hungry any more. I think people finish their meals, not out of hunger, but habit.

Hey, went swimming this morning. When I woke up I was thinking of all kinds of reasons why I didn't have to go today. I pushed myself and now feel a lot better.

Reply to
Dan Espen

There is that, but I think they just don't want to embark on a thankless task. Ever try to convince someone to eat less or exercise more?

Face it, we all know extra weight isn't good for us. We don't need anyone to tell us.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I have trouble convincing myself, let alone others. My goal is to lose

20# over the next four to six months. Should be easy, but it is not,, especially as we get older.

Yep.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

For more than 10 years, I've been mixing 250mg of magnesium in a pint of water and keeping it in a sports water bottle by the sink. You can take magnesium supplements, but the trick is to absorb it. If it's dilute and I drink it when I'm thirsty, I seem to absorb it well. (Nowadays, some say the RDA for men should be 1000mg of magnesium a day.)

Obese children have less blood magnesium than children of normal weight. During the 20th Century, the average magnesium intake of Americans dropped by half, and we probably weren't getting enough in 1900.

Without enough magnesium, insulin stays in the blood, turning sugar into fat and making you hungry for more. Magnesium helps insulin get into cells, where it burns sugar to gives you energy. It gives me energy. It also cured my lifelong sweet tooth. One cookie is enough.

Reply to
J Burns

Well put, Ed.

Reply to
micky

Sure, it could happen after an injury but it certainly won't happen because I'm stuffing my face with McJunk Food.

You'll typically see the oinkers in the high carbohydrate isles and seldom in the fresh vegetable section. Why is that?

Reply to
Taxpayer

So do Christians have to tithe a little extra every Sunday if they're obese?

Reply to
Taxpayer

The obvious answer is because chips and dip taste better than broccoli. Many of those people have never been given any education on nutrition by either schools or parents. The snack guys advertise on TV every day, the veggie farmers do not.

Also, it seems the lower the education, the lower the knowledge. It will take a few generations to turn it around.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As I understand tithing, is based on income, not body mass index.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The most hilariously stupid thing about these types is how they show up at anti-government rallies. Yeah, they hate government, but they sure do love those government benefits.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

That was my brilliant rationale, too, towards home repair - hey, skin is easier to wash off than clothes, right? - until the time I was sprawled out nekkid under the kitchen sink when the next door neighbor and neighbor kid casually walked in. They got an eyeful, I got a lump on the head from banging it on the underside of the sink. Whoops.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I challenge this. People see what they think they are going to see. Just like interviewees and even repliers here reply to the question they think was asked, based on the first few words of the question.

But on the chance he's right, I don't konw how other fat people grew up, but it seems reasonal\ble to say that it's not just education about nutrition but what they grew up eating. Whatever my mother cooked, I learned to like (with one exception). She never bought soda pop, so I don't drink it now. She never offered chips or pretzels etc. so I don't eat them now. She did make popcorn (she even sent away for a Jiffy-Pop stove popcorn maker, which I still have) with a little butyter, and I've gone through periods where I eat a lot of popcorn, drenched in butter if possible.

Plus there's research that shows that simple sugars are more satisfying,than proteins, even to infants.

Reply to
micky

Damaged skin repairs itself, too. I don't have any clothes that will do that.

Have they come back?

Reply to
micky

I don't usually run around nekked but I do recall when a friend of mine back in college returned to hi room drunk.

They took his clothes off and put him in the elevator and sent him down to the lobby

Reply to
philo

I was a teenager at the time. Ironically, I was fixing the plumbing when they showed up with a couple of buckets looking to use our faucet, because their well pump had died. They were explaining that as they came in through the back door and right towards where I was on full display, where they spotted me and beat a hasty retreat.

My mom gave me pure hell afterward.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Sigh. Life's unscheduled moments.

I'm remembering when I was about 13, and spent the night with a friend from my class. What they never thought to mention was that his Dad didn't wear clothes around the house in the morning.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now you tell me. I just put a bag of chips in the collection basket.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I want to see when you go on Slimfast diet.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My mother never bought soda, but I loved it. I must have been about 7th grade when Pepsi went from 6 oz to 10 oz. If I had a dime, that bigger bottle was bliss! In the past, it seems most people thought that was too much.

In my teens, I'd drink a quart bottle of soda for coffee break. Decades later, 2-liter bottles came out. Once or twice a year, I'd treat myself. I figured it should last a week, but it would be gone in 24 hours. As I rarely bought it, I wasn't addicted. I wondered what compelled me to keep drinking it.

After I started supplementing my magnesium, sweet stuff at the store didn't tempt me. I no longer bought soda. If a host offered me soda, one was plenty. I also found I wanted only little servings of pasta or white rice.

Magnesium improved my response to sugar. My cells would quickly be satisfied. More soda or pasta would have felt like too much. Sweets on store shelves didn't tempt me because more magnesium meant less insulin in my blood turning sugar to fat. My blood sugar didn't dip, so I didn't want sweets. (Well, I like a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee. Come to think of it, I'll bet it would taste as good without the sugar!)

My occasional soda gluttony wasn't from habit, upbringing, or advertising. It came from a poor response to sugar. My cells didn't feel particularly satisfied. Insulin would turn it to fat, so in a couple of hours I'd crave another glass of sweet soda.

I met my neighbor's father when he came to help my neighbor rake leaves. He wasn't a pound overweight. He had the energy of a teen and more stamina. He was 93. I finally learned his secret. Every week, he'd have a bath in epsom salt. That's how people used to supplement their magnesium, before the medical industry dumbed everybody down.

Reply to
J Burns