Tired of bumping my string trimmer

Page 3 of 3
Shooter Dude wrote:

I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20 years ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well. But for when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with a lawnmower blade.
[pausing to let that mental image sink in...]
I have no idea what kind of mower would take such a small blade; it's about 8 inches long, like an edger blade. The lawnmower blade works a lot better than a saw blade unless I'm trying to cut saplings. Just last weekend I bought a 9" edger blade that had the right size arbor hole and I'm experimenting with it. I've sharpened about 3/4" of the leading edge and it seems to work pretty well, but the steel is softer than the mower blade so I don't know how well it will stay sharp nor how long it will last.
A metal blade does a good job around a wood fence because you can see exactly where the blade is and cut right up close to the fence without hitting it. I wouldn't try it with a chain-link fence though.
Bob

My echo trimmer (SRM-2400SB) is only 9 years old. I'm glad to hear yours is still going strong after 20.
On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:10:49 -0500, "RoyDMercer"

I have a Jonsered brush / string trimmer straight shaft, 40cc engine that has never missed a beat and is close to 25 years old. Wore out many line heads of various styles, wore out many of the steel brush blades but have never spent a penny on the machine yet other than air cleaner and spark plug etc. Starts right up time after time. Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

I've had a HomeLite SX-135 for about 10 years with no problems whatsoever.
On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:21:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Roy) wrote:

Thanks for the link. I always wanted to make my own equipment and cast metal.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Shooter Dude) wrote in

My Toro cordless electric uses .050", the thinnest diameter I've seen and works well. You only need to bump it often if you're mowing with it and the string gets bent. Edging using the tip only works better. If the weather has been dry for a couple of days and the grass isn't crazy, I can do ~300' of edging without bumping.
Salty Thumb wrote:

The Black & Decker Grass Hog uses .065 - self feeds and is fairly cheap. Mine is electric and can tolerate the voltage drop from over 100' of cord with no complaints. Quieter than the gas models and no stink or mixing. Also does the edging thing with a built in wire guide.