Tire inflator chuck - regular vs lock-on?

I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem? Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on) type?

Reply to
bob

Hi, Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Typically it is just a clip you release with your thumb. I don't see any practical need for it except for obviously a hand pump or a peanut sized portable pump that takes some time.

Reply to
George

I have both. If you are ever going to have an air tank, you will appreciate not having to hold the chuck on the tank for 5 minutes. If you ever have any heavy duty tires to fill up (heavy equipment, tractors, etc.) then you will appreciate not having to hold the chuck on the tire for 10-15 minutes. If you every have to do any line testing such as gas lines, you will appreciate it.

If you ever are in a situation where you have to use a very slow compressor to fill up a normal tire, you will appreciate it.

Other than those times, a non-locking type is just fine.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Save your money by buying a tire pressure gauge to go with your compressor.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've got to disagree with you there. Mine doesn't have the lock on it-- but it makes pumping tires 1/4 the work of 'pump-measure-pump-measure'

That Milton replaced one with the gauge on top that broke the first time I dropped it. his one's been abused for 4 years and just doesn't quit.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

So if you get a flat tire, do you have to wait for a nitrogen truck to come and fill your tire? After all, you cant get nitrogen out of a hand operated tire pump!!!!

Reply to
thankme

You got the good stuff. I think mine about 79% nitrogen.

.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires. Seems to be OK though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did you reclaim the old nitrogen, or did you release it into the atmosphere? That stuff can be lethal, if you breathe it in 100% concentration for more than a second or two. Think of the planet, man!

.

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires. Seems to be OK though.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

we have many kind of tire chuck, low price. and you can find every tire chuck.

------------------------------------- /^-----^ V o o V | Y | Q / / - | | ) || (___==== air chuck,valve extension,dual head chuck,good quality, cnyjqp.com snipped-for-privacy@cnyjqp.com

Reply to
nblily

I just throw some fertilizer with a high nitrogen concentration into the tire before I mount it. That way it has a lifetime supply.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher