Tire inflator chuck - regular vs lock-on?

I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from harborfreight but the gauge is way off.
I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem? Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve stem?
What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on) type?
bob wrote:

Hi, Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.
You got the good stuff. I think mine about 79% nitrogen.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:47:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires. Seems to be OK though.
Did you reclaim the old nitrogen, or did you release it into the atmosphere? That stuff can be lethal, if you breathe it in 100% concentration for more than a second or two. Think of the planet, man!

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires. Seems to be OK though.

I just throw some fertilizer with a high nitrogen concentration into the tire before I mount it. That way it has a lifetime supply.

So if you get a flat tire, do you have to wait for a nitrogen truck to come and fill your tire? After all, you cant get nitrogen out of a hand operated tire pump!!!!
On 6/10/2012 11:37 AM, bob wrote:

Typically it is just a clip you release with your thumb. I don't see any practical need for it except for obviously a hand pump or a peanut sized portable pump that takes some time.
On 6/10/2012 10:37 AM, bob wrote:

I have both. If you are ever going to have an air tank, you will appreciate not having to hold the chuck on the tank for 5 minutes. If you ever have any heavy duty tires to fill up (heavy equipment, tractors, etc.) then you will appreciate not having to hold the chuck on the tire for 10-15 minutes. If you every have to do any line testing such as gas lines, you will appreciate it.
If you ever are in a situation where you have to use a very slow compressor to fill up a normal tire, you will appreciate it.
Other than those times, a non-locking type is just fine.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
bob wrote:

Save your money by buying a tire pressure gauge to go with your compressor.

I've got to disagree with you there. Mine doesn't have the lock on it-- but it makes pumping tires 1/4 the work of 'pump-measure-pump-measure' (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
That Milton replaced one with the gauge on top that broke the first time I dropped it. his one's been abused for 4 years and just doesn't quit.
Jim
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/tire-inflator-chuck-regular-vs-lock-on-700678-.htm nblily wrote:
bob wrote:

we have many kind of tire chuck, low price. and you can find every tire chuck.
------------------------------------- /^-----^ V o o V | Y | Q / / - | | ) || (___===air chuck,valve extension,dual head chuck,good quality, cnyjqp.com snipped-for-privacy@cnyjqp.com